Panama City Beach - April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sommos1975

Reaction score
The misses and I are taking a trip in April to the panhandle but we don't know who to dive with or where to stay. We were thinking about staying around Panama City Beach, but we are willing to stay anywhere quiet, out of the way, affordable, and on the water. Give some advice on who to dive with and possible lodging options. I've been doing some research, but I'm at a standstill. Thanks in advance

April, Panama City Beach, Quiet, Affordable and on the water are all words that shouldn't be used together.

If April is set and you want quiet, go elsewhere. Can deal with noise and partying, PCB will work. Want affordable? You won't get to stay on the water at PCB.

Good news is that you have a half dozen dive outfits on PCB that can take you to some cool wrecks. You'll also only be about an hour away from some great FL panhandle springs.

sommos1975:
The misses and I are taking a trip in April to the panhandle but we don't know who to dive with or where to stay. We were thinking about staying around Panama City Beach, but we are willing to stay anywhere quiet, out of the way, affordable, and on the water. Give some advice on who to dive with and possible lodging options. I've been doing some research, but I'm at a standstill. Thanks in advance

My wife and I are diving in PCB with some friends in late April.
We use Divers Den for the charter.They are very nice people and go to some nice dives.I must admit, they are the only ones that we have dived with there but they never gave us any reason to look elsewhere.
And ,as mentioned by Suprabugman,you can also dive the springs close by.(about a hour)We usually stop by Vortex on the way in.(your lodging choices there will be much easier,I promise:D)

When in April are you coming? After Easter the crowds die down quite a bit so it does slow down here after that. The room rates won't change though. Most of the hotels on the beach are gone now and have been replaced with condos. There are way too many condos to name but you can get on the internet and do your research there.

That is not to say there aren't any hotels left on the water (Holiday Inn Sunspree comes to mind) but most of them are very old and not in the best of shape. If I was coming to PCB I would get a condo as there is a ton of them to choose from.

I use Panama City Dive Center as my local dive shop and for doing offshore dives. They just aquired another local dive shop here in PC so they have just doubled their number of dive boats. They also have two locations here.

can't comment on the diving as I've not done any up there, but for a GREAT place to stay, CHEAP, on the water, QUIET, off the beaten path, get in touch with the folks at Lagoon Motel, www.lagoonmotel.com, 850-235-1800.....I've been staying there for 5 years now....it's on the north shore of Grand Lagoon, not the beach...but the beach is literally less than 3 minutes away...they offer 14 clean, newly remodeled rooms, a boat ramp, nice dock w/ free slips if you happen to bring a boat.....they have pontoon boat and kayak rentals, and good old-fashioned friendly service.....close to restaurants, nightlife, and other attractions.....best deal in P.C., IMHO

Matteo:
can't comment on the diving as I've not done any up there, but for a GREAT place to stay, CHEAP, on the water, QUIET, off the beaten path, get in touch with the folks at Lagoon Motel, www.lagoonmotel.com, 850-235-1800.....I've been staying there for 5 years now....it's on the north shore of Grand Lagoon, not the beach...but the beach is literally less than 3 minutes away...they offer 14 clean, newly remodeled rooms, a boat ramp, nice dock w/ free slips if you happen to bring a boat.....they have pontoon boat and kayak rentals, and good old-fashioned friendly service.....close to restaurants, nightlife, and other attractions.....best deal in P.C., IMHO

have you ever rented a boat from them? know what their rates might be on the Pontoon or the zodiacs? If so, how's the area around shell island from there?

Check out PCDC & Divers' Den. Boat trips by Hydrospace...the bridge spans there are a must if conditions are good.

We dive at the jetties at St. Andrews state park...$5.00 per car. They have a dive shop there as well. The only thing there is to be sure to check the tides (times for high and low tides) before you go. http://140.90.121.76/cgi-bin/get_pr...thh=-1&thm=39&tlh=-1&tlm=50&hh=*1.02&hl=*1.02

It's a great place to dive...been there several times. http://www.floridastateparks.org/standrews/default.cfm

We live close enough to drive it for a daytrip. Never stayed overnight.

Try to do at least one spring...Morrison or Vortex...that is if the rivers aren't too high..then viz is nonexistant. http://www.vortexspring.com/

Be advised...It will greatly depend on the dates that you are planning as to the ease of accomadations.As Biggen has said,the speak break traffic will be slowing at the end of April but on April 22nd and 23rd there will be a cheerleading competition(my daughter,before anybody ask:D ).To get a condo on front beach around this time may be a challenge.We had to book 4 months ago and actually had to go through a rental agency rather than the actual condo itself(due to booking in the Edgewater area of front beach rd).
It will also depend on what you are expecting.As Biggen has stated,there are numerous types of rooms to pick from.(although high rise condos are taking over)
I usuaslly stay at Edgewater when diving but I have also stayed at the Sunspree.The Sunspee was clean but the rooms had a "spring break" feel.(no frills)

You may also consider staying in Panama City if you want quite,no frill,and economical room.

Numerous websites to search.Good luck and Good diving!
We will be diving April the 21st.

Mike S: no, I have not rented from them myself, as I always bring my own boat....but as I stated earlier, I've known these folks for over 5 years now and you won't find better people or a better deal in PC....just call 'em up, ask for Linda, Marty, or Pokey(one of them will answer the phone), tell them Matt Booth sent you and I guarantee they will treat you right

While in PCB, you should not miss the oppurtunity to dive the Empire Mica. It's an old WWII shipwreck that was torpedoed by a german U-Boat. A lot of it is still intact (at least since before Dennis) and the sea-life around the ship is amazing. I highly recommend it and killfish charters is one of the only boats that goes out there on a regular basis.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom