Pampered while Traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

girldiverllc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
The long flights, with long waits at airport terminals. Hailing of taxi's and staying aboard damp dive liveaboards. Hauling luggage in heat...arriving during rainshowers. Traveling can take it's toll on even the best of us.

What are some of your favorite ways to pamper yourself while traveling?

girldiverllc:
The long flights, with long waits at airport terminals. Hailing of taxi's and staying aboard damp dive liveaboards. Hauling luggage in heat...arriving during rainshowers. Traveling can take it's toll on even the best of us.

1) Real Dining - I'm not talking about grub. I'm talking about dining. Cloth napkins, ceramic dishes, glass glasses, a wine list. I dine when traveling. In almost every destination (even in Avalon) there are real restaurants.

2) Porters - Homey don't schlep. I don't travel light. Big tanks, heavy back plates, dry suit, deco bottles, etc, etc... I get someone else to land the gear at the dive site, and I walk up in comfort and ease. Porters / Sherpa's make any trip more plush.

3) The Goodness of home - I always bring my fav mug. I always bring my fav pillow, sheets to cover the plastic bunks, a night light / stand up flash light, etc. Homey don't rough it. I like the comforts of home to be with me all the time. This includes sourrounding myself with the familiar.

4) Treat the service people with dignity and respect - learn their names. Ask how they take their coffee. Know when their shift starts, etc. Recently, 'chica and I grilled a tank monkey in Avalon about her fav coffee, her shift, and even helped her out when one of her co-workers called in sick. We brought her fav hot bevy from her fav coffee shop on our SI in the middle of her work day. It melted her heart, and for the rest of the weekend we spoke to her by name, she to us by our names. We received jiffy service, she stayed late for us (filling us LONG after she "closed".) We went the extra mile for her, and she did for us.... it made the weekend great.

5) Bring a Power Squid - I always carry around a power strip (or Power Squid) so I can plug all my stuff in. Makes a difference. I have enough room to charge the can lights, the camera strobes AS WELL as a laptop, hair dryer, and other silly things that make a trip go well.

6) Baby Butt Wipes - I hate salt on my face after a dive - but its not always practical to get to running fresh water to take off the abrasive little crystals. Baby Butt wipes are the best. I can freshen up and get my grille kissably clean in a moment. I never dive without them.

I could go on and on. I'm a fru fru traveler. Homey don't rough it, so I go to extraordinary lengths to be sure I'm in the comfort zone when I travel and dive.

Call me a nancy-boy.... but I smell better than you do. :10:

---
Ken

Use my frequent flier miles to upgrade to first class occasionally, especially for the longer legs of my flights.

Smoke a really expensive cigar.

Instead of waiting for a cab, calling in advance for a car service to pick me up at the airport.

On rare occaion, actually eat one of the 5 dollar candy bars or drink one of the 7.50 cans of soda from the minibar.

The heck with any diet I am on at the time.

I've been in three airplane crashes....life can be short....enjoy the airport food.

girldiverllc:
Only fly west, it makes the time changes easier.<G>

First Class works for me. Surprisingly I do it more often on the return after my trip, figuring I'll be pretty beat up/out by then.

Noise cancelling headphones - I even wear them without playing music - they cut out most of the engine whine/drone during a flight.
What Charlie said. I find it refreshing to have time for a quick meal and to relax a little between connections if possible. I also pay extra for the lowest number of connections or direct flights if possible.

Lately, I'm checking more stuff than I used to also. So far I've never had anything lost or delayed - at least on a divetrip - partially ruined a cruise we were on once when my g/f's luggage never showed up.

When the liveaboards/diveops say that they'll haul my gear on/off the boat I let them. Also most cabdrivers expect to have to move your luggage also. I've found that the further away from the states, the more willing they are to do so also.

I do everything ken does!

I wasn't going to admit to bringing high thread count pillowcases, a down pillow, etc.

Okay..I usually bring Kona coffee and a French press.

My best tip is I have a baby crib down comforter that rolls up teenie tiny and is very light which I pack in my carry on. (pillow too). I do medicate on long flights...hey they tranquilize animals for a reason.

We take candles for the room..just the little voltive ones.

Love the power strip idea.

last flight, I paid a kid 10 bucks to stop kicking my seat. I think it PO'd his mom too. But, I made the deal directly...he was walking back from the bathroom and I said "hey, I will give you ten dollars if you don't kick my seat one more time before Guam." If all else fails, bribery.

Also..United has economy plus..so for about forty dollars you get a huge seat...

Oh..one more. I leave my car at the BMW dealer and have them take us to the airport...no parking fees and I get my oil changed. They pick us up too... I call when we hit the tarmac.

oh...they keep coming. You know the old styled train cases? well, I put that inside my rolling carry on. Once on the plane, I put it on the floor and use as a footrest...what a difference from having your legs hanging for 9 hours.

Lots of magazines! Trashy ones, I would not be caught dead with in real life.

Oh...and I try not to ask the crabby flight attendants for anything..I just go do it and remind myself they are "there for my safety".

I operate on the "last one on and last one off philosophy" with planes. (this one really bugs JB)

We order take out from the best restaurants and have taxis deliver it. You are only charged for the one way fare...

we buy several bottles of nice wine for the room. and whipped cream for the coffee.

I stay in lots of cheap hotels because I would rather shop and the people scrambling to do things for you, waiting around every corner for tips drives me nuts.

We request late check out when we book...they almost always say yes and don't charge.

Here at home, I drive to the Mandarin hotel, valet park, use the beach, order lunch or a drink, stay all day...it's great. In SoCal..I used the Ritz Carlton like a beach club. They want people there if you buy food or drink....who needs beach clubs and required food tabs of 400/month?

We find dark, empty gates and sleep on the floor (airplane blanket on the floor first, then our blanket, set the alarm on the Suunto)

I like to suround my self with good looking girls, but most of the time they won't cooperate.

When i fly out West to San Diego on United i relax or as you say pamper your self by now dont laugh:rofl3: :rofl3: but i get the ear phone s out from behing the seat and plug them in and put the channel on to Flight deck and i listen to the Piolt s talking with other flight s and to flight control for the whole flight from push back from the gate to arriving at the gate. I find this very relaxing plus aviation is one of my other hobbies so i kind of know whats going on up there. Try it some time you make enjoy it.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom