Palos Verdes Dive Site; Flat Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
One of the tougher hikes in Palos Verdes with scuba gear is Flat Rock. The trailhead at 650 Paseo del Mar leads to a moderately steep path that branches to the right for a short, direct access to the water or a longer hike to the left that leads to Bluff Cove. The short path gets narrow in places, some spots as narrow as ten inches with a nasty drop on either side of the backbone trail. If you elect this trail you can make a giant stride off the flat rocks at the end when the water is calm.
There is nice diving around Bit Rock, the small rock breaking the surface just offshore. The better diving is near the outer edge of the kelp. Batrays, leopard sharks and harbor seals frequent the area. Depths in the kelp range from 35-45 feet.

45877141095_917ed19d07_b.jpg

FlatRock1_zps7411c0d1.jpg

FlatRock2_zps60434629.jpg

FlatRock3_zpsceedf015.jpg

FlatRock6_zpsc84440c0.jpg

FlatRock7_zps081398e2.jpg

FlatRock12_zps96053f26.jpg

FlatRock13_zps124d16fe.jpg

FlatRock15_zps3cb039fc.jpg

I've snorkeled/freedived here. It would be tricky with gear going down that backbone. I believe if you walk further down the Bluff Cove Trail, there are easier trails off to the right that drop down to the beach... but, you'd have to walk along the beach back to Flat Rock.

I was making a night dive there once when, just as I got to the narrowest part of the backbone, my weight belt slid down to my ankles. That was a little scary.

Back
Top Bottom