Palea Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smellzlikefish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am planning a trip out to Palea Point in the coming weeks (as soon as conditions are right). Has anyone done this from shore and do you have any suggestions? Is the walk to toilet bowl from the Hanauma Bay parking lot open, or will they chase you out of there with guns drawn?

easiest way is to go to lanai lookout and enter at bamboo ridge,,, i believe they (guards) will stop you from going from hanauma bay parking lot side, i don't think they will even let you hike out there.

You can't hike out there unless you come from Lanai Lookout. The trail from Hanauma Bay to the Toilet bowl is closed/off limits. A buddy and I have surface swam most of the way to toilet bowl then dived out that area, as well as climbing out at toilet bowl and looking around. We then got back in and finished our dive back into shore.

We have also surface swam out of the mouth of Hanauma bay and dove out there as well.

You can do Lanai Lookout to Hanauma Bay pretty well on a set of doubles - anything less might be difficult. Due to the "visitor center" improvements in the past few years the paths to the toilet bowl area are hard to access.

It's good to make sure the currents are in your favor before attempting this dive.

Beautiful dive, if you can make it. Easily as pretty as anything you'll find on the Big Island.

Find someone with a boat and do it the easy way :D

What a shame. One of my fondest memories was playing in the toilette bowl. We went via Hanama bay. Just walked past the do not pass this point signs. (like the pirates code: they are only a guideline). That was many yrs. ago. Sounds like they are more serious now.

All great advice. Thanks a bunch. It looks like I have a few options, and I guess the best one depends on the availability of large tanks/doubles.

Back
Top Bottom