Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the Eclipse through Sams Tours. Great compromise between a live-aboard and land-based. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

I was there last August/September ('05). We stayed at Caroline's resort. Ralph and Ushi were there. It's overlooks PPR. We had a great time. I dove with Sam's. They took me on some nice dives. The reefs/sealife/islands there were awesome. For me, PPR was pretty expensive, but it's very nice. When I was there, Carolilnes Resort gives you a pass that let's you hang out down at PPR, but is about $100/day cheaper. Though, you are not just going to walk over to PPR either, you will want to get a ride. PPR has a very nice beach, pool, gardens, bar, resturant, entertainment, and like said above, the dive places pick you up at the dock. But for me staying at Caroline's, it was easier to just ride the van over to Sam's. They come pick you up at the front door. Say hi to every one for me. I'm very jealous. Basically, Caroline's are just some nice clean cabins that has good room service and the people are very nice. They are clean and have a/c and tv and a wonderful view, but there's not much more there. (Well, they do have a cool white Cockatoo, gift shop, a beautiful view and really nice gardens and are very quiet)
Sam's kayak tour was really nice too. The island tour was cool, but I wish I had went kayaking again or diving instead. The boats they have are very fast and quiet, but some of the dives(2 tanks) to the far end do approach about an hour+ each way, but truthfully, we really enjoyed the beautiful scenary and it was really worth the ride. To me, the boat ride was as much fun as diving. IMHO about Palau, when you get away from town, is a very beautiful place, but please realize I'm a country boy and can't stand a crowd. Like said above, if you want to do a lot of diving, I would go with a live aboard, which I'm doing next time, (which I'm counting the days for :fruit: ), there's not much to do for surface intervals in town, plus the endless pot holes are very tiring. The island's and beaches out there are devine.

I have been going to Palau for the last 7 years...stayed at the PPR once...nice but if your diving...Why!...I stay at the West Plaza and dive with PalauDive...I do not care for liveaboards....but I do know the Aggressor is very good....You will dive all the same spots being land based but only 2 or 3 dives a day and hour long boat rides....which ever one you prefer...It is the Best Diving!

Bubble Junky:
I think August is the off season when it gets pretty windy/stormy. Not all the Liveabaords operate during this time (August/September).

Do you consider late June better time, or is it rainy/stormy the whole summer? :confused:

June is the begining of the wet season and August is in the middle of wet season. One is in the water anyway, so what is a little rain? I dive this part of the world year around. In the summer the seas tend to be a bit calmer. But a storm could pass through any time of year.

Dale

On a little rock in the Pacific

I would try to get out there early in the year - Jan. Stormy weather will make for a horrible journey out on a day boat, and also life is much more enjoyable on a liveaboard when the sun's out. Also Jan seemed to be the manta season this year.

CARHILL:
June is the begining of the wet season and August is in the middle of wet season. One is in the water anyway, so what is a little rain? I dive this part of the world year around. In the summer the seas tend to be a bit calmer. But a storm could pass through any time of year.

Dale

On a little rock in the Pacific

Well, was it typically short and sporadic, or did it rain regularly?

If you look at a graph that shows how much rain Palau gets each month you'll see they are all about the same (A LOT). It is partly to mostly cloudy with scattered showers every day. It rains hard for 10 to 30 minutes a few times a day. If you do a land based trip make sure you bring a rain slicker for the boat ride. The boats are fast so the wind and rian can get a little chilly in just a swim suit.

I'm no weather man so take it for what it's worth. I do live near Palau and see them on our weather channel every day. I say if you can afford it, do one of the live aboards and anytime is good but weather and storms are always a risk in these places.

Here are some pics from our trip last May/June Palau pics Under water it's all good...:D

I do land...Liveaboards are to cramped for me.....I do not mind the hour long rides. I stay at one of the West Plaza hotels....PPR is great (and have stayed there) but I go there to dive....And you cannot compare the diving to Bora Bora....Palau is the best I have found.

If you do land a strong suggestion....dive with Divepalau. Keith is the best.

Sorry about reviving an old thread and all, but, ballpark estimate, what's the experience level (in number of dives) needed to enjoy Palau, if diving with an instructor as your buddy and the really dangerous dives like Peleliu. I'm up to about 30-ish dives in mixed conditions in Hawaii, Grand Cayman, and California's Channel Islands, but no true drift dives as of yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom