Palau without liveabroad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just visited Palau in the X'mas and am very pleased with Neco Marine
but I am sure you will do well with either Sam's or FnF

With less than 50 dives, Peleliu may not be a good choice as those dive sites are relatively advance (and a bit remote too, speed boat time>1hr)
As I was told, Neco Marine require >200 dives to dive Peleliu
Still, you have plenty of famous dive sites to go in the Rock Island area like blue hole, germen channel, etc.

Reef hook/ gloves are highly recommended with any dive sites named "xx corner", these sites usually associate with strong current and require you to stay in a specific spot to wait for the giants like sharks/ manta.

For the other dive sites you should expect mid- strong current and sometimes current will change direction during dive,
so my advice is to stay close with your dive guild and pay attention to their signals.

And if you plan to go in August, it is their typhoon season and rough sea is expected, so sometime you may not be able to dive out but only in-bay area.
It will also make a hard time travelling and climbing back to the boat.

PS Most of the dive operation in Palau offer nitrox for free, get your nitrox cert before going

+1 for Neco Marine. Ask for Fabio if he is still working there. We passed by the liveaboard boats daily - yes, there was an advantage to being right on the spot but we dove the same spots they did so didn't see much of an advantage. There were a few deep spots but yes, if not AOW at least have your nitrox cert. Palau & the Philippines ruined us for the Caribbean.

IMO, Fish ‘N Fins liveaboard is a chance of a lifetime worth taking out a loan for. I did all 35 dives and each one was remarkable. You wake up to a lovely breakfast and roll into the water as the sun rises. The food and staff are superb as is the attention to safety detail. If you have a good flashlight, bring it as rental prices add up. Ask for a discount as you are 2 divers, hey every little bit counts.
When you are on land, go to the jail gift shop and buy a storyboard carving made by inmates. The proceeds go to support their family and the art is amazing. Also, go to the senior center and buy their crafts helping them out too! Also, tuck school supplies and reward stickers in your spare space and take to local schools! Palau is like opening a treasure chest. So jealous!

I'm looking at booking flights to Palau for April/May this year. Should I arrange a land based diving package before arrival in Palau, or is it OK to wing it and book dives after landing on the island?

31 Dives? Your a fool to go there and think you would be comfortable. Get at least 100 and 10 + night dives. And dive the # of dives at Koh Tao by 2 or 3 and start counting again. You'd not get full enjoyment and on some dives be scared shitless. F & F would be my choice with hope Francis is still there. Good luck.

31 Dives? Your a fool to go there and think you would be comfortable. Get at least 100 and 10 + night dives. And divide the # of dives at Koh Tao by 2 or 3 and start counting again. You'd not get full enjoyment and on some dives be scared shitless. F & F would be my choice with hope Francis is still there. Good luck.
That's divide the # of dives at Ko Tao by 2 or 3 before you start counting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom