Palau trip report 3-5 thru 3-20-12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This year I flew Asiana to Seoul and arrived in Koror at 4am. Thus did not dive on my arrival day. I stayed at my usual place the West Plaza Malakal which is like a motel 6 nothing special but nice people and basic room. Hung out at Kramers (some of the best food on the island) and Bottom Time bar and grill at Sams. I dove with Sams which is always exceptional, the management, facilities, dive guides etc are great.

I met a few Scubaboard members from Arizona at Sams who have read my previous Trip reports and sent me emails asking about Palau and who to dive with. I guess the weather had been Very Rainy and Windy a few days before I arrived and they were thinking about to sending me a nasty gram….LOL….then the weather got marginally better when I arrived and they ended up having some great dives. During my stay the weather was just OK. It was windy and generally a bit overcast with a few light rainy days…..the second year I experienced marginal weather. This is the dry season and typically very nice with occasional showers and a few windy days.....Must be climate change or the more controversial Global warming! Regardless the reason it was not the typical weather pattern I have experienced in the past years in January, February or March.

Diving-This year I did not have as many of as I say “WOW” dives (yes I am a spoiled diver). Visibility was not as good as I have seen in the past years and they said this was due to the heavy rains and wind they had been having. Also we may have hit currents at the wrong time (or they switched) for optimum diving i.e. one day at the NewDropoff the currents looked like they were ripping at the surface…got to the reef hook up point and the currents died down to nothing. I also did some new spots up north (that I had not done before) the dive guides were not familiar with thus we did not hit those at a good time! Sams was concerned that I did not like those dives (nobody on the boat did)….but as we all know if you do not hit the area at the right time the marine life can be very disappointing. Not necessarily the dive guides fault but the concern expressed by Sams was very appreciated. Plus I have to thank the staff for putting up with me for the first few days jumping boats looking to go on the dives and locations I wanted to go on!...I would of sent me to Maml divers….LOL!

The last few days of diving the visibility cleared up and we hit the currents right thus I had some spectacular dives (what I am used to in Palau) at the German Channel, Dexter’s wall, Blue corner, Ulong channel etc. Saw a lot more Turtles and Sharks this year than I have seen in the past 3 years. Saw a few Mantas in the German Channel, large dogtooth tunas at the Blue corner, big schools of Trevally, some very large schools of Fusliers along with all the other marine life and bio-diversity. This year I did not see the large schools of Scad that I have in the past couple of years.

Was hoping to get in dive #900 but being the winds were playing with the visibility and currents, I chose to jump on some 2 tank boats that were going to spots I wanted to go…..thus missed #900 by a few dives. So I will accomplish that in Indonesia later this year and next year perhaps do my #1000 in Palau.

Dove with some great guides Shirley, Neil, Dexter, JC, Kostas etc who were always concerned you had the best dive time!

Sams will have an exciting new addition in September a Liveaboard which will be part of the Siren fleet and being built in Indonesia, it will be called the Palau Siren. Seen pics of the boat and it is the Indonesian style LOB, interior and exterior are exceptionally beautiful. They hope to start sailing in late September. Would love to be there for the trial runs but gotta go to Indonesia for the month of October. I am not a big LOB person so I am hoping in the future they may have some 3 or 4 day options open for people diving with Sams...would love to try the boat.

Cannot believe all the airlines that now come into Palau besides United now Asiana, Korean, China airlines, JAL (think I’m missing another one) and Delta came in a couple of years ago. Years ago I remember the old Airport and Continental was the only game in town. With all these additional airlines I really have not noticed a difference in the number of boats at the dive sites!

Overall it was a great trip, just the weather was not corporative thus messed with the vis and currents. Now I have to decide do I go next year in July or August the traditional wet season which has been turning out to be their dry season….Hmmmm….LOL. Of course on my no dive day no wind and brilliant blue skies were peaking through the clouds!

Last edited:
Nice report. I was thinking about May, but recently decided to delay the trip...maybe Sept/Oct would be good. Even before the change in weather patterns, was the traditional rainy season that much wetter than the other months? Good info about the Sam's LOB-I have also had reservations about doing a LOB but wouldnt mind mixing a land based/LOB itinerary.

Nice report. I was thinking about May, but recently decided to delay the trip...maybe Sept/Oct would be good. Even before the change in weather patterns, was the traditional rainy season that much wetter than the other months? Good info about the Sam's LOB-I have also had reservations about doing a LOB but wouldnt mind mixing a land based/LOB itinerary.

Do not know what to say about the weather....always been told that in July, Aug and Sept the winds change, it is the wet season. The last 2 years their wet season has been their dry season. I'll probably go next Feb, March or April and chance it has been a fluke.

Here is a web site for the Palau Siren Diving in Palau with S/Y Palau Siren They will have their own dedicated web site with a link on the Sams site soon. From all the booklets I have seen.... large rooms, flat screen tv's etc etc....one of the nicest boats I have seen IMO.

I guess you must not have dove that death trap Chandelier Cave, as you're still alive to recount your Palau adventures for us.

We're heading back in May assuming I can handle the grueling 4 hour trip from my driveway to Koror. Yes, our seasons have been a little mixed up lately, although this dry season has been a little more normal.

I just missed you by a few days! We stayed at Sea Passion and dove with Sam's. JC was a great DM. Unlike you, we had perfect weather up until the last day. I guess luck is everything. All-in-all, a spectacular time.

Here's a link to some photos. Not my best work, but nonetheless:

https://picasaweb.google.com/yellod...&authkey=Gv1sRgCP-gvKeWk5qXOQ&feat=directlink

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom