Palau tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overboard

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

The wife and I are off to Palau at the end of March aboard the Star Dancer (Peter Hughes). Any tips or suggestions from those of you that have been there?

Thanks,

Mark

Dive blue corner as much as possible. German channel can be cool if the vis is good. I thought the reef was best on the dives off of Peleilu. By the way, the island tour of Peleilu is excellent if your into history.

I'll check my logbook and get back to you on others.

Plus make sure that you go for a swim in jellyfish lake. Makes for really good squemish factor stories when you get back home. Especially if you take some photos!

gedunk once bubbled...
Dive blue corner as much as possible

I would go back to Palau over and over just to dive the Blue Corner! It is one of the very best dive sites in the world. On a good day you will see schools of tuna, sharks and barracuda. We have seen tuna and sharks chasing, catching and eating prey there!

Since you are on a live-aboard, you can dive it 5 times a day, if you want--and I think you will.

Big Drop-Off is great, as is Ngemelis, but I think German Channel can be problematic: it still has not recovered from El Nino.

You are in for the scuba time of your life: ENJOY!

Scorpionfish

I have been on Sun Dancer twice in Palau, both 10 night trips. Obviously you will be constrained by the captain's schedule and that of the rest of the guests, but I would suggest these as the sites to do:
Blue Corner
Ngemelis Wall
Big Drop-Off
Siaes Tunnel
Ulong Channel
Peleliu Cut
German Channel if only for the mantas
Wreck of the Iro, Teshio Maru, Amatsu Maru White Face Wreck (You're likely to do the first, but not the others)

Click here and follow the Palau links to Dive Sites for more info on what to expect....

Regards
Jim

Thanks everyone! Your info has been very helpful, especially that link. We can't wait to go!

As a follow up. should we get Nitrox certified before or during the trip or will regular air be just as good? I have read that Nitrox would allow a greater safety margin and extend bottom time for repetive dives.

Thanks for all the help.

Mark

Hi, Mark!

You can dive 5 times a day on most liveaboards. For me that means Nitrox to keep the N2 accummulation minimized and bottom time maximized. In fact, for me, that is really the only occasion I use Nitrox.

It also means, for me, a thicker wet suit than I might ordinarilly use because after three dives I seem to keep warmer and more comfortable. It might all be psychological, but it works for me!

If you do not get your Nitrox cert before you go, you might be able to get certified aboard. Ask the liveaboard company if they do that. You can get a jump on the process by studying the text at home and doing the "work" on the liveaboard. Some liveaboards will allow that.

Have a great time!

Scorpionfish

They do offer the course on board and I think my wife and I will do that. We will have 3mm full suits, with separate vests if we need them too. Won't that be enough? And thanks for all the help!!

Mark

Dive Blue Corner as much as possible. Nearby Turtle Cove is also great for seeing grey reef Sharks. Go south to Peleliu.
Don't forget the lagoon dives: Mandarinfish lake, Chandelier Caves, and the many WW2 wrecks.
Don't dive with Explorer liveaboard.:mean:

Overboard once bubbled...
(1) We will have 3mm full suits, with separate vests if we need them too. Won't that be enough?

(2) And thanks for all the help!!

Mark

Hi, Mark!

Re (1): Your wetsuit/vest combo should be just fine! My wife and I use 5mm Henderson Golds for that kind of diving, but before we got the 5's, we use 3mm Golds + 2-3mm vests.

Re (2): You are quite welcome! As I wrote earlier, you are in for the scubatime of your life!

Scorpionfish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom