Palau Reef Status???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwake

Reaction score
My wife bought me a surprise trip to Palau this April/May and I have heard of some major coral damage caused by El Nino in '98. Anyone been there in the last few months? What was the status of the reefs, fish lif? Any insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Wow! Aren't you a lucky man! You better keep her :thumb:

I haven't been to Palau but the folks I know who have been there rave about the reefs.

Hopefully someone else can help ya!

I was there in 2000, and the reefs were in great shape. If anything I would imagine they are even better now!

I think the deep (cooler) surrounding waters protected Palau's coral pretty well. Having seen the state of the Maldives after El nino, Palau looked outstanding to me.

In any case if you're more used to the Caribbean, Palau will blow you away on its very worst day...

You WILL have a great time! See my site for my trip report.

Originally posted by David D
I was there in 2000, and the reefs were in great shape. If anything I would imagine they are even better now!

I think the deep (cooler) surrounding waters protected Palau's coral pretty well. Having seen the state of the Maldives after El nino, Palau looked outstanding to me.

In any case if you're more used to the Caribbean, Palau will blow you away on its very worst day...

I was there in 2000, too - and also in 1994. The el Nino in 1998 caused a lot of damage at some sites. Blue Corner was not one of them - the coral there had already been wiped out by the intense diving pressure. (Of course, who dives Blue Corner to see coral?)

donacheson - How would you rate Palau now on a scale of 1-10 (10 being how it was in 94) and also when compared to other sites you have dove (10 being the best diving you have done)?

Thanks!

Anyone else?

Originally posted by dwake
donacheson - How would you rate Palau now on a scale of 1-10 (10 being how it was in 94) and also when compared to other sites you have dove (10 being the best diving you have done)?

Thanks!

Anyone else?

About a 9 compared to '94. IMHO, one doesn't go to Palau to admire coral, although it was georgeous at some sites.

About an 8 compared to Fiji (both Crystal Divers former operation in Lau and current one on Viti Levu.) - my opinion only.

I lived in Palau for about 1 1/2 years, the diving is spectacular to say the least. You will have to dive the German Channel, the reef is great and you can do it with little effort due to the current. One place that is a must is the Blue Wall, you never know what will appear, one time it may be sea tortise, dolfins and sometimes shark. You will come away from Palau "Blown away"

Happy diving
TJA

Yes, Palau is one of our favourite diving destinations , and, I echo the fact that it is spectacular for the the "big stuff". Liveaboards still make the best platforms .

Back
Top Bottom