Palau - is this a true statement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greg11

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
If you dont like deep dives dont go to Palau
If you are a new diver dont go to Palau

Basically I am going to be in Tokyo for 2 weeks in June. I got the OK from wife to take one week and go diving some place. Palau is a 5 hour flight from Tokyo. I have 50 dives, I'm 44 years old, most dives were done in grand cayman and Roatan over 5 years ago. I got vertigo once in Roatan and have been basically nervous since and not able to dive deep. I stay above everyone at around 40 feet while they go down the walls. I am comfortable by myself at that depth. My dilema is I would like to go to Palau to see jellyfish lake and do some shallow dives. Sure I would love to see Blue corner but understand that might be just too much for me and too deep. All I really want to do is see jellyfish lake and see some clownfish and anenome's, or a giant clams. Do you guys think I will be ok or should I select another dive destination?

jelly fish lake is snorkeling only. no diving at all - so no problem here.

there are dive sites that do not require you to hook into into the reef. that means choosing your personal comfort depth is an option.
if you need to hook in, you are bound by the depth which is deeper than 40 ft (at the sites I went to).
but i am sure there are sites that suit your needs. contact one of the dive operators and i am sure they can give you plenty of advice.

palau is one of the best reef diving i have ever done.

If you dont like deep dives dont go to Palau
If you are a new diver dont go to Palau

Basically I am going to be in Tokyo for 2 weeks in June. I got the OK from wife to take one week and go diving some place. Palau is a 5 hour flight from Tokyo. I have 50 dives, I'm 44 years old, most dives were done in grand cayman and Roatan over 5 years ago. I got vertigo once in Roatan and have been basically nervous since and not able to dive deep. I stay above everyone at around 40 feet while they go down the walls. I am comfortable by myself at that depth. My dilema is I would like to go to Palau to see jellyfish lake and do some shallow dives. Sure I would love to see Blue corner but understand that might be just too much for me and too deep. All I really want to do is see jellyfish lake and see some clownfish and anenome's, or a giant clams. Do you guys think I will be ok or should I select another dive destination?

I am guessing you read those statements on my trip report...

If all you want to do is snorkel at jellyfish lake, then Palau is the only place to do that.
Otherwise, seeing clownfish and anemones - any destination in South Pacific will do. Palau ocean diving (not jellyfish lake) is all drift diving, current is slight to very strong, and you stay with the group as the current moves you along the vertical wall reefs. From what you are describing about yourself, I think going to Palau would not work out well. The shallower dives, closer to Koror, which have slight current also have low visibility. IMHO, You would be better served going some other destination... unless, as you said, the biggest thing is to go to jellyfish lake to snorkel. (personally, it was okay for about 5-10 minutes, then I was bored)

robin:D

I'm thinking from your stated nervousness and lack of diving over the past few years that you should not dive Palau until you gain your confidence back. Try Guam. No Jellyfish lake but there are a lot of shallow beach dives available with the same critters found in Palau. Contact Micronesian Dive Association (MDA) for more info.

Jim

I would disagree with those statements. They certainly aren't a hard fast rule.

Actually most of the dives in Palau are wall dives on the sides of the islands, with the remainder drift dives. Those mushroom shaped islands actually go straight down on the sides. That said, with wall dives it's perfect for being able to stay with the group but stay shallower "higher" up the wall. You'll see just as much stuff and you'll probably get much more comfortable after a few dives. Your previous problem was likely an issue of no frame of reference. With a wall next to you, that's not a problem. You can look up and see shallower as well as look at the bottom.

The issue with Blue Corner is not depth, though you tend to start deep and come up to the side of the reef and flow over the top to hook on. My recollection is the reef is not particularly deep, something like 50 feet. The issue is the current, but it isn't a problem because you just go with it, never planning to fight it like in some other places. However, it can be the easiest diving you do where you just hook on and just have to keep the line taut while you relax and enjoy the show.

Without knowing who you are using for an operator, I can think of at least 3 locations that would be spectacular for you:

• Jellyfish Lake
  • Ulong Channel
  • German Channel

If you're considering a liveaboard like the Palau Aggressor II, they will help you with skillz and scheduling dives that are in your abilities. On our last trip on the PA2, we only had 3/4 of the boat booked, and we inherited a couple that had a resume very similar to yours. They had a fantastic time, and the crew was able to blend their needs with ours nicely.

All the best, James

Thanks guys and thanks robin. considering im leaving out of tokyo it makes sense to go to palau even if I dont get to do some of the better dives.I could go to Okinawa but it would cost as much as going to Palau, or I could go to Thailand for the same cost. I will try and make up my mind.

I would say a refresher is in order before you make any decisions on exotic destinations. Some of the wall dives in Palau can be done shallow but you're going to need a confidence boost before you get back in the water. There are other things to do in Palau should you decide against some dives due to depth. Check out under "Other Tours & Activities"
Sam's Tours: Palau Diving Micronesia Island Hopping

Thanks guys and thanks robin. considering im leaving out of tokyo it makes sense to go to palau even if I dont get to do some of the better dives.I could go to Okinawa but it would cost as much as going to Palau, or I could go to Thailand for the same cost. I will try and make up my mind.

With booking a flight to Okinawa through Skymark airlines (discount domestic Japanese carrier) you would be able to spend much less in Okinawa than by flying to Palau. We can also show you plenty of anemone fish and other exotic animals and only a 2 1/2 hour flight from Tokyo. We also have walls, drift dives, both shallow and deep wrecks -- a bit of everything for you and plenty of dives within your comfort zone. If you decide on Okinawa we can help you with the setup and bookings if needed.

^^What he said^^ I second coming to Okinawa but I live and dive here and love it. That being said, I'd prolly head to Palau first. Whatever you decide, have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom