Palau increases it's permit to $135!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guamrider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The Palau state govt just announced that the permit fees to visit the rock islands and go to Jellyfish Lake will go from $35 to $100 (you read that correctly) starting June 1, 2012.

The rock island permit fee (without going to jf lake) will go from $25 to $50.

In addition to this the current combined "Eco green fee and departure fee" of $35 will be retained.

All of these fees in combination with ever increasing tour fees (diving, kayaking, etc) will make Palau one of the most expensive dive destinations to visit in the world!

If you plan on seeing Palau, get it done before June 1.

The "official" statement is here: Micronesian Divers Assoc | Facebook

If the additional money goes directly into protecting the area and more patrol boats for shark finning I would happily pay double that.

it's a pittance when you consider the whole holiday for me was around $5,000 USD/AUD

Reactions: pwl
If the additional money goes directly into protecting the area and more patrol boats for shark finning I would happily pay double that.

it's a pittance when you consider the whole holiday for me was around $5,000 USD/AUD

i agree wholeheartedly. given the $ spent on airport beers in guam waiting for planes, this is a minor issue. :p

Everything gets more expensive over time. You're talking about drops in the bucket of an already expensive trip. If you're going to invest $5-10k (or more) for a vacation for two, what's a couple hundred more to help operate and preserve an ecological treasure?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom