Palau and Yap suggestions! Getting excited for our upcoming trip!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen Dancheck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We already know how fabulous the diving is in Yap and Palau! That is why we are going! Looking for any other recommendations on restaurants or any other non diving activities. We are in Yap for 4 nights and Palau for 13. As far as food... we like anything! The more local and homemade the better!

Palau & Yap tour..rent a car or go with a tour company??

There's a good Indian restaurant in Koror. It's on the main road on the edge of town.

If a taxi driver says he knows a "really great restaurant" get out while you can. You'll end up at a less than pleasant diner.

As for Yap there aren't that many restaurants around. It's really not that sort of a place. Trader's Ridge restaurant is expensive and best to be avoided. The Mnew at Manta Bay is good, and you're eating dinner on a ship dockside. Recommended.

Bill at Manta Ray has a dive master or two who'll take you out to your the island for not too expensive. Well worth doing.

Thanks for the info! We are staying at Trader's Ridge now called Yap Pacific resort. I'd rather meals that are less expensive. We are only in Yap for 3 nights. Will check out Mnew for sure. Love Indian food. Look forward to that too.

Karen: for the length of time you're staying in Yap you won't need to rent a car. There are 3–4 restaurants and the furthest away, which is located at the Pathways hotel, is a five minute walk. Your hotel sits on the top of a small hill and directly below that is a restaurant which is on the second floor of a business district. That one will be the cheapest of all of them. And I'm saving the best for last, which is the Mnuw. It's a 170 foot Indonesian schooner and is located at the Mandarin Bay Hotel. It's got a great bar and restaurant.

In Palau I'd save renting a car for the last day. It's good to get out and visit the north island and there's lots of free scenic attractions that you can go to.

As far as restaurants are concerned there's lots of them. One you don't want to miss is call Kramers which is a great local hang out for ex-pats and visiting divers. Within two blocks of that restaurant is another located at Neco Marine and it's called the Drop Off. Also two blocks from that at Sam's Tours is the Bottom Time bar and grill. Little Italy is the only Italian restaurant in Palau and it's located right across the street from the Palaysia Hotel.

Mentioned above is the Taj which is probably one of the best Indian cuisine restaurants in the West Pacific. But you'll pay for it.

If you have a chance take a look at these videos. They show some of the attractions in both places and also some of the restaurants.

Palau, Incl Kramers

Yap videos, incl the Mnuw, from Diver Below tv Series

Ah forgot about the brewery at Manta Ray Bay. Guamrider, thanks for all your great suggestions. I didn't mention it earlier, we are staying at Sea Passions in Palau and diving with Palau Dive Adventures. We certainly don't need fancy accommodations if it means we can stay longer!! We've actually booked a suite at Sea Passions. View looks amazing! Guessing we can walk to most of the places you listed? Thanks for posting the videos. I'll check them out when I get a chance.

Visited Yap many years ago but one of the things we did that was great was to visit Maap. It was the name of a village on the north end of the island. I can't say how it may have changed but at that time it was like going back a hundred years. The homes were all made of local material, there was no noise at all from anything electric, and the children were out playing with simple homemade toys. Diving with the giant rays was also a great experience. Have fun!
Adventure-Ocean

I'll also vote for the Taj in Palau. It's the best Indian food I've ever had!

I'm not sure I've ever eaten raw fish as much as I did in Yap. Probably twice a day every day, and I never got tired of it. I also drank plenty of Bill's beer at Manta Ray Bay...

I'll also vote for the Taj in Palau. It's the best Indian food I've ever had!

I'm not sure I've ever eaten raw fish as much as I did in Yap. Probably twice a day every day, and I never got tired of it. I also drank plenty of Bill's beer at Manta Ray Bay...

Last time I was there the brewery wasn't even built yet. They were still retiling the pool with the manta mosaic...

-Adrian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom