Paintings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

konajc

Registered
Reaction score
Aloha,

It's been a while since I've been back here to ScubaBoard, since I haven't been on my computer for a while.

Last year when I asked if it was alright to post paintings instead of photos, I didn't notice this particular forum on the list. Is it new or did I just miss it?

Anyway, I've added a new painting to my gallery. It's a little different, but I hope you enjoy it.

---John--- Kona,Hawaii

Yes, this is a new forum - I was wondering when you would post :D

Very cool John! Or should I say hot??? :wink: What was your inspiration?

justleesa:
Yes, this is a new forum - I was wondering when you would post :D

Very cool John! Or should I say hot??? :wink: What was your inspiration?

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Wow a new forum. Now I really feel like I belong....

My inspiration... Actually I've had this painting kicking around in my head for a few years. I guess ever since I first saw under water footage of lava entering the ocean at Kalapana years ago.
Then when I saw photos our newest Hawaiian Island "Loihi", it all kinda' came together.

The description in my gallery tells a little about Loihi. I thought it would show when you clicked the thumbnail, but I can post it here.

"This ones titled "Loihi Sentinel". Loihi is a new island forming off the Big Island Of Hawaii about 30 miles South East of Kilauea. It's summit is about 1000 meters below the ocean's surface. I've taken a great deal of artistic license here because steam probably doesn't actually form underwater at this depth. I just thought it made a neat image."

Thanks again. I'll try to post more often.

---John---

Ps. I know there are a lot more artists out there. I can tell by the very cool, well constructed photos you all take and display. It would be really great to see your art,in all forms, displayed in this forum. J

Gorgeous painting!!!!!!!

I looked at the "Loihi sentinel" picture before reading your description. I REALLY liked it, but I was envisioning the whale as swimming through the sky. The reddish/yellow light gave me the impression of a sunset hidden by clouds. So I was thinking sentinel, as in a god watching over the island up in the sky type of thing.

Either way, it's still a great work! Keep it up!

Kriterian:
I looked at the "Loihi sentinel" picture before reading your description. I REALLY liked it, but I was envisioning the whale as swimming through the sky. The reddish/yellow light gave me the impression of a sunset hidden by clouds. So I was thinking sentinel, as in a god watching over the island up in the sky type of thing.

Either way, it's still a great work! Keep it up!

Thanks (can't tell if your name is Chris or if that's part of your quote).

As I was painting it, the sky and cloud theme was always in mind.
The original is fairly large (30"x40") so the volcanic vents at the bottom of the image ground things a little better. But as you say, either way is valid because you are seeing the things I was feeling when I painted it.

Thanks again,
---John---

I've been doing kind of a one man show at one of the restaurants here in Kona and haven't had any time to spend on line so my posts are kinda' sparse. I'll keep addin' things as often as I can though. Here's one from last week-end.

Back
Top Bottom