Painting Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

designbysue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am newly certified (8/14!!). I have been reading the ScubaBoard for a couple of weeks and saw a number of posts about painting fins and want to share my experience and results. I am a graphic designer and make signs so I have a vinyl cutter. I created the designs and cut them using a cast vinyl (it has more stretch than calendered). I first cleaned the fins with acetone to help the vinyl and paint stick. I adheared the vinyl to the fin and worked to stretch is into the grooves caused by the design in the fins. Then I covered the fin with a plastic trash bag with a hole cut through it and masked the area to be painted within the hole area. Then I used Krylon Fusion as suggested by a few folks and found it to work great. If you do this, make sure to cover the area well with paint. 3 to 4 light coats. Then you might hold it up to the light to see that you have completely covered the area before removing the masking vinyl. I was able to clean any over spray by either using acetone if the area did't' touch the finished design, and if it was the edge of the design that was uneven, I found I could scrape off the paint to "perfect" the design. BYW - if you mess up totally, the acetone will remove the paint (though it can be a devil to get it completely out of the grooves it does a good job)

I also was able to personalize the fins with our names and phone numbers in the inside, incase they get misplaced.

The results were great. All but one on our Open Water dives had yellow fins and because of the designs we were able to find each other. That evening we added to our personalization by purchasing Tulip Slick paint from WalMart and I made designs on the back of our gloves. I used yellow and it practically glowed in the water. We could then tell each other from the croud from the front and back. I may do something on my hood also with the Tulip paint.

Great job, it really looks nice. Thanks for sharing this with all of us. I'm going to try this with my fins, and may be gloves.

Thanks again,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom