PADI Underwater Photography speciality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Bill that online course looks really interesting, unfortunately they're no longer accepting new enrollements!!
I think doing a course is going to be low priority in my diving at the moment, but once I get the underwater housing for my camera and get playing with it, I might consider it if I do meet a good instructor.

As an instructor who have taught his fair share of DUP courses, I can say that how beneficial this course is depends on the sutdent's level as a photographer prior to the course as much as on the instructor's skill and involvelment with the course.

For those of you who have already taken the course, you may recall that a good deal of the academics deals with really introductory CD/DVD. That's why I have always thought that a better name for the course would be 'An Introduction to Underwater Photography Today' rather than what it is, but marketing is marketing. To somebody who can produce well-composed, beautiful images using the functions and features of his/her camera to a good extent (e.g. not overexposing images, using macro, white balancing the camera) the course itself would be of limited use UNLESS he/she got together with an instructor willing to go the extra mile. Nonetheless, there are also (still) some people that have never used a digital camera before in their life, and now, having learned to dive and somehow having acquired a camera, wish to make some images of their experiences. To anybody in this category, I think the course would be of great benefit.

The in-between category, meaning those who have a camera but have limited knowledge and functional use of aspects such as f stops, white balance, exposure, ISO, or no experience with strobes and wide angle lenses some parts of the course may seem really fundamental while in other instances the learning experience may pick up and become more challenging and rewarding. In these instances, the ability of the instructor to focus the course to the students' needs becomes crucial for the overall learning experience.

As an instructor, I have always tought my students that the A and Z of all diving is buoyancy skills. Undewater photography is probably the activity that will make any shortcomings in this realm shine, with obvious effects on diver's enjoyment, safety, environmental impact and overall experience. I actually insist on NOT teaching DUP to newly certified divers unless they take a buoyancy course first and I allow no cameras in my OW courses unless I personally carry them (and my students have been really nice, persuasive and making good progress). After all, the videographers have to make a living too...

I highly recommend the course that Cathy Church offers in Grand Cayman. I took the half day course their and learned quite a bit. After a couple of hours of instruction we went out for a dive on the Sunset House reef and took some macro and wide angle shots and then came back and reviewed every shot I took and talked about how each could be better in terms of composition and mechanics. Great course and a lot of fun too.

We took the class from Tim at Fish Eye Photo in Bonaire and what a huge difference it made in my husband's photography. The biggest thing was that he taught us what settings to have the camera at, how to specifically adjust for macro and wide angle, how to edit photos on the computer, etc. He is an excellent instructor and tailors his classes to each individual's current level. He made such a huge difference that my husband took a refresher from him for 1/2 day during our last trip.

It's definitely ALL about the instructor IMO.

Find a good instructor, sadly mine just gave me his camera without 1 piece of advice. Talk about waste of time. The camera battery went out after 3 pictures lol he told me he swears he charged it, what a joke.

Find a good instructor, sadly mine just gave me his camera without 1 piece of advice. Talk about waste of time. The camera battery went out after 3 pictures lol he told me he swears he charged it, what a joke.

I hope he did not expect you to pay anything

IF you were doing a PADI course (I am assuming you did as this is what the OP started with) and this is all your instructor did, I hope you contacted PADI's Quality Management department. Otherwise, he's still out there, doing the same thing over and over again. If you haven't done contacted them so far, you can still do so, and please let me know if you need any help on how to go about it. As a consumer of PADI products (education) you have quite a bit of a say in the quality of what you receive, much more than in any other industry (at least in my experience).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom