PADI Underwater Photography course? Is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a lot of good suggestions here. Depends on what you want to get out of your photography. Talk to the instructor you intend to take the course from. There is way too much PADI bashing on scubaboard to get an unbiased opinion of the digital underwater photography course for my tastes. I can tell you that out of the shop I teach at you have at least two of us who are passionate about photography, and the shop owner is a fantastic photographer who is a great resource. But of course were not famous and we teach PADI so there will be no respect from this crowd.
Dont wait untill you take that dream trip to Galapogos and become frustrated with the shots that didn't come out before you call, (like one of my previous students did) after you purchase the camera then take a course and learn how to use it properly. you'll be glad you did before heading off on vacation.

So many good points.

The Padi course is a good way to get to know the basics of U/W photography. It is true though that the instructor teaching the course will dictate how much you get out of it.

Practice does make perfect and that is the joy of digital; shoot shoot shoot. Don't be afraid to take pictures and learn from them. Analyize and see what you could have done better. Practice on land with your u/w set up. Good way to learn about flash positioning for various shadows especially when using a single strobe. But don't forget you will encounter backscatter as well!

Get in a pool with a mini reef scene you can buy from Petsmart and paractice bouyancy and lighting.

Taking a course from someone like Cathy is great. She will work with you both on land and in the water and by the end of your time with her, you will have learned and andvanced so much.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom