PADI TecRec standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Ginti
I don't really understand. You say you are not interested in doing the PADI Tec class as you have already a Tec c-card from another agency and you want to know the PADI standards to see how the people you are going to meet in Sicilia dive, right?
If it is the case, why do you care about these standards. Just care about the people you are going to dive with.
I suppose you are going to Sicilia without your tanks so the best is to contact the shop/people you are going to dive with and ask them what dives you are going to do, what double tanks they rent, what kind of deco tanks are available, what mixes are possible and so on. Forget the standards, get real hands on experience.
Also, tell them that the first day you want to do an "easy" dive to get familiar with the equipment and that way, you will see also if the way they dive makes you feel confortable.
Just my 2 lira :)

Aren't all tec diving standards pretty much the same? All have more-or-less the same limits but for exactly the same reason: you have to work 'down' to your depths as it's more dangerous as you go deeper/longer and whilst the basic skills are all the same (keeping vertical position, stage management, all the safety drills), deeper brings in additional issues and relies on your skills being very good at all times (not just very good occasionally).

The challenge when going somewhere else is being given an 'instabuddy' who's skills aren't up to scratch -- regardless of what's on the cert card.

All the more reason to have a solo mentality: my backup is me, everything I do is for me. Agreed this may be anathema for the team-diving community, but they wouldn't dive with an 'instabuddy' unless they're from the same team-diving agency.

Hi Ginti
I don't really understand. You say you are not interested in doing the PADI Tec class as you have already a Tec c-card from another agency and you want to know the PADI standards to see how the people you are going to meet in Sicilia dive, right?
If it is the case, why do you care about these standards. Just care about the people you are going to dive with.
I suppose you are going to Sicilia without your tanks so the best is to contact the shop/people you are going to dive with and ask them what dives you are going to do, what double tanks they rent, what kind of deco tanks are available, what mixes are possible and so on. Forget the standards, get real hands on experience.
Also, tell them that the first day you want to do an "easy" dive to get familiar with the equipment and that way, you will see also if the way they dive makes you feel confortable.
Just my 2 lira :)

I agree with your suggestions :) I will for sure call them and I will also do an easy dive to get familiar with them - and only after I will decide if do also some tec or not with them.

But I still care about standards for two reasons:
1) I am curious
2) I believe that standards can help me in understanding what to expect

For instance, I had no idea that one could take Tec40 with a single bottle; now that I know it, I know better what to discuss with them.

Aren't all tec diving standards pretty much the same? All have more-or-less the same limits but for exactly the same reason: you have to work 'down' to your depths as it's more dangerous as you go deeper/longer and whilst the basic skills are all the same (keeping vertical position, stage management, all the safety drills), deeper brings in additional issues and relies on your skills being very good at all times (not just very good occasionally).

The challenge when going somewhere else is being given an 'instabuddy' who's skills aren't up to scratch -- regardless of what's on the cert card.

All the more reason to have a solo mentality: my backup is me, everything I do is for me. Agreed this may be anathema for the team-diving community, but they wouldn't dive with an 'instabuddy' unless they're from the same team-diving agency.

Actually this thread is highlighting big differences among the standards of the various agencies...

Actually this thread is highlighting big differences among the standards of the various agencies...

That there's no doubt; Fundies being the Gold Standard for tec diving core skills.

My point was that when diving, if I have to dive with someone else -- the fabled instabuddy -- I couldn't care less what cards are in their wallet, I only care about their skills.

BTW the reason for that attitude is I'm paying for that dive and, unless I choose, I'm diving for the dive, not to babysit someone.

That there's no doubt; Fundies being the Gold Standard for tec diving core skills.

My point was that when diving, if I have to dive with someone else -- the fabled instabuddy -- I couldn't care less what cards are in their wallet, I only care about their skills.

BTW the reason for that attitude is I'm paying for that dive and, unless I choose, I'm diving for the dive, not to babysit someone.

I agree with you, but these are not the reasons why I posted this thread; let me explain better :)

I am interested in standards, because understanding them can help me in better understanding (1) the industry, (2) what to expect when I meet new people and (3) what to ask these new people. These points are the reasons why I posted this thread, and they still stand.

Fundies is not a technical class. It is a recreational class. It can and is often taken in a single tank.

Fundies is not a technical class. It is a recreational class. It can and is often taken in a single tank.
It is absolutely a recreational class that is normally taught in doubles. It can be taught in a single, but with a long hose & necklace.

What it does is give you the core skills required for all technical diving. It is remarkable how poor some people's skills are when they move to their first technical-level class. Without the core skills, every other skill is much more difficult.

Whatever your attitude to GUE is, their Fundamentals class is a beacon amongst other entry-level courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom