padi table vs. SSI table

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SSI tables are modified from the Navy Dive Tables to be more conservative. This was a result of testing done that indicated "micro-bubbles" in divers relying on straight Navy tables and the general fact that the average recreational diver is not in as good of shape as the military diver that the Navy tables were written for.

I have not seen the older PADI tables that you have, but I know that my IANTD tables within NDL's are actually more conservative than SSI's, but that is partly because IANTD allows planned decompression stops for overstaying. SSI does not.

Personally, I will plan dives with tables for "borderline" dives and dive my computers. I carry two Suunto computers of the same vintage. If one decides to give me a "no-go" underwater, I will dive the other one to a safe dive. On decompression diving, I will dive tables as well as plan by them to avoid going into Deco with inadequate gas for me and my buddy to do our safety stops.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to use the PADI table for air dives. I'm in excellent shape, better shape now then when I was in the Infantry back in 93-96. So if the Navy tables were formed around sailors I think I'll be alright. (To any ex-navy divers, relax, I'm just ribbing)

I also like the fact you can read the PADI table side ways for multilevel dives. I don't think I will try this until I can run simulations with a computer but at least the option is there.

Once again thinks for all the input:)

Mark

Back
Top Bottom