PADI students left country without signing PIC...what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert Gillcash

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have some students who are eligible for the Scuba Diver cert, having completed 5 class sessions and all 5 pool sessions, but only Open Water dives 1 & 2.
The problem I have now is that they have left the country, gone back to mainland USA, but they havn't signed the PIC form yet.
It's been over a year so they are not eligible for a referral, but at least they can get the Scuba Diver cert.
What can I do without a signature?

Assume you have their address and phone number on any of the many releases they signed, you could:
Call them
E-mail them
Write them a letter
Mail them their PIC, have them sign it, mail it back
Submit an online-PIC
Call PADI and ask them
Write PADI and ask them
E-mail PADI and ask them
Forget the whole mess. If they are not interested after a year, they are probably not interested. Sad, and hard on the industry in general.

If they took training over a year ago, and are no longer ineligible for referral, why should they be eligible for certification? Would they still be at a standard of performance to merit certification?

I'd say you either issued Scuba Diver at the time, or they left with the intent of getting a referral. I don't think you're obliged to issue a certification retrospectively, 12 months later...

Still... fire off a question to PADI about it. That'll result in definitive guidance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom