PADI OWSI to GUE Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leapfrog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I would like information about what is required to become a GUE Recreational Instructor. I currently live and work on the Spanish mainland so I would be seeking to be trained here by a visiting Instructor Trainer. Many thanks.

You can check out the S&P on GUE's web site. Basically you will need to be a GUE Cave 1 or Tech 1 level diver prior to entering the ITC. Rumor has it that in the future, instructor candidates will have to have Tech 1 for the deco knowledge. You enroll in the ITC. Depending on your performance during the ITC, you will most likely do one or more internships with a GUE instructor. After it is determined you have corrected any deficiencies in your teaching/skills, you will need to take the instructor exam. Once passing that, you will be certified a GUEF instructor.

It isn't an easy path. Very few people are capable of becoming GUE instructors. Be prepared to sacrifice much of your time and money.

Oh, I think right now, all ITCs and instructor exams are done in Florida. However, do to more training directors in other countries, there may be ITCs in other locations.

I would like information about what is required to become a GUE Recreational Instructor.

You don't say whether you are a DIR diver at the moment. Speaking as someone who has decided to take the Fundamentals course, my preference is to take it from someone who is a practicing DIR diver. My personal philosophy (I do not speak for GUE!) is that instructors should be grown and not trained. In my ideal world, the instructor training and internship would be entirely composed of teaching you how to teach the material, which is not the same thing as teaching you the material.

Just My (Uninformed) 2C...

Oh, I think right now, all ITCs and instructor exams are done in Florida. However, do to more training directors in other countries, there may be ITCs in other locations.

I think this is (mostly) true. The ITCs are done in Florida, and the best result is to get the signature of one instructor trainer. You actually need two in total, but you don't need to return to Florida to get the second.

Typically, an outcome from passing an ITC is "go away and intern on a few more courses with a GUE instructor, then teach a course under the observation of an IT and if you do it well enough then you'll get your second signature".

That's for Fundies, mind you. But I don't wouldn't see it being much different for the new Rec 1 course.

A friend of mine just sat the ITC this month, I believe that the pass rate was fairly low - only 2 out of 8 people got a signature, the rest need to come back another time. As has been mentioned before, be prepared to spend a lot of time and money if you want to become a GUE instructor!

You don't say whether you are a DIR diver at the moment. Speaking as someone who has decided to take the Fundamentals course, my preference is to take it from someone who is a practicing DIR diver. My personal philosophy (I do not speak for GUE!) is that instructors should be grown and not trained. In my ideal world, the instructor training and internship would be entirely composed of teaching you how to teach the material, which is not the same thing as teaching you the material.

Just My (Uninformed) 2C...

Don't worry Reg, you won't be taking a GUE course from a non DIR diver.............:D:D

Don't worry Reg, you won't be taking a GUE course from a non DIR diver.............:D:D

ROFLCopter! Given another thread recently, I think everyone taking GUE Fundamentals needs to question the instructor closely about their qualifications. You could try slipping into the class with an 85# double wing and see how it goes...

But the key word in my phrase was practicing DIR diver, meaning someone who is drinking the kool-aid! I may not end up being a rabid DIR or nothing diver, who knows, but I do know I want an instructor who is really passionate about walking the walk and not talking the talk.

None of this should be construed as a slight to the OP, by the way. One possibility is that the OP looks into the training, decides to take the fundamentals, embraces DIR, and in the fullness of time becomes a very fine instructor in Europe.

One day he could have a Sith Apprentice--whoops, GUE Intern Instructor--of his own, and be talking about how it all started when he inquired about teaching GUE Recreational I...

Not trying to be a smart alec, but how many GUE instructors have you met who don't "walk the walk"?

Tom

There was some confusion in another thread where someone called a TDI "Intro to Tech" class a "Fundementals" class. People made assumptions, was very tortured, etc etc...

Not trying to be a smart alec, but how many GUE instructors have you met who don't "walk the walk"?

I think we're in violent agreement. Remember, the thread begun with someone who self-identifies as an instructor with another agency asking about instructing a GUE course. GUE has their requirements for instructors, and those requriements are in perfect accord with my desires as a student.

I was just trying to share with the OP what I as a student want from a DIR instructor. I hope that I can express that desire without suggesting that GUE fails to deliver.

Reg, you are new to the whole GUE thing, but let me assure you that of the 50 or so GUE instructors, there are none, zip, nada, who don't "walk the walk" when it comes to DIR. Also, speaking from some experience here, the path to GUE instructor is long and a lot of work. Again, speaking from experience, it is relatively easy to crossover between other agencies. This doesn't happen with GUE. GUE instructors come from just about every agency but at this stage of the game they all go through the same program to qualify to teach Fundamentals. The very fact that it is a ton of work and time and money to become a GUE instructor pretty much guarantees that end result will be a dedicated DIR instructor. Don't worry, quality control is pretty tight.......:)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom