Padi online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, you can actually take PADI's IDC online? Do you have to commit to a shop IDC before you do? I would just love the information. How much was it?

You can take some of the IDC online. It covers about half the presentations that were traditionally given live in class - a CD must still present the rest... You will be asked to affiliate to a shop, but I believe it's not mandatory, and you could change your mind too and switch shops.

so I did my idc online and was told by the staff instuctor that it makes no difference and doesn't count?
So it's apparently a waste of money??

You're not giving us much information to work with. I'll propose that one of several possible scenarios seems to have occurred:

Possible Scenario 1: you did something online that you believed was a full IDC. You told the staff instructor something to that effect, essentially claiming you were done with the IDC. Staff instructor laughed, told you that you wasted your money.

PS 2: you did the IDC Theory Online that several of the above posts mention. Just as with all PADI courses that have an optional online component, this online section is one minor portion of the IDC. The staff instructor misunderstood what you were trying to tell them, and with a better explanation that misunderstanding could be cleared up.

PS 3: you did the IDC Theory Online, but the staff instructor is confused and isn't familiar with the online theory option. Try talking to your CD instead. Make sure you're specific about what you did and find out specifically what you still need to do.

As Tursiops mentions above, for any scuba course it's best to ask the shop (or the CD in this case) exactly what they want you to do so they can offer you the best experience. When you pay them for your IDC, you are paying for their experience and advice... so you should use it.

Did you waste your money? That is a question that no one will be able to answer for you. Only you can answer that question for yourself, and even then the answer won't be clear until at least a few years from now. Becoming a scuba instructor will teach you a lot, and you will learn a lot while teaching others to dive. Give it a few years, then evaluate what you have done, what you have learned from it, and consider the value of the whole experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom