PADI necessary hidden skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backward roll, giant stride and controlled seated entry are all required skills in the NAUI entry level openwater scuba diver training. They are required skills to be taught in the course not options.

Backward roll, giant stride and controlled seated entry are all required skills in the NAUI entry level openwater scuba diver training. They are required skills to be taught in the course not options.

Controlled seated entry is slowly sliding into the water (for example, with sharks)?

Sit sideways on platform (pool deck for my class), turn and hang knees into water, push forward and out, used for people with mobility issues.

Sit sideways on platform (pool deck for my class), turn and hang knees into water, push forward and out, used for people with mobility issues.

Thanks.

That is what I meant. Just had to do that once with blue sharks in the Azores.

This discussion of 'hidden skills' is interesting. It has brought out the fact that, between various training / certificiation agencies there are different approaches successfully used by each. Some approaches are more 'all-inclusive', some may be more 'environment-drven'. Some approaches require a lengthier training period, some may be more compact. There are probably strengths and limitations associated with each approach and teaching philosophy. So, a 'consumer' - be s/he a student wishing to learn to dive, or an Instructor wishing to teach others, has choices available.

For me, one of the more interesting aspects of a discussion of what is 'hidden' was highlighted in an exchange about
The PADI standards/slates only say "deep-water entry" and most I'm aware of teach a giant stride.
Well, actually what the slates 'say' is a bit more. The listed Skill on the front of the slate is 'Deep Water Entry'. The actual Performance Requirement, stated on the back of the slate is 'Make appropriate deep water entry'. The text in the Instructor Manual is the same. But, the expectation doesn't stop there.

For those familiar with the PADI system, it is understood that the PADI approach is quite a bit more involved and detailed than that. The appropriate source reference for the PADI Instructor conducting an OW course is NOT just the slates. They are simply a waterprooof 'quick reference' for the Instructor. It is also NOT just the Instructor Manual (IM). It necessarily also includes the Guide to Teaching (GTT). (Some years ago, PADI took the rather lengthy and detailed Instructor Manual, and parsed it, into an Instructor Manual, and the companion Guide to Teaching. The IM is revised yearly, to reflect specific chnages to standards / ratios / etc. The GTT is revised less frequently.)

So, understanding what is expected to be taught in a PADI OW course must include an understanding of both the IM and the GTT. Maybe, this could be considered to be a set of 'hidden skills', although they are not 'hidden' to Instructors. This information is NOT included on the (quick-reference) slates, in the interest of keeping the text as concise as possible. Looking at the GTT, here is what the Instructor is expected to consider with regard to entry technqiues taught in the Confined Water portion of the course.

Dive 1
Water entry – Have student divers enter shallow water without their scuba equipment.

Dive 2
Deep water entry (suggested giant stride) – Use the most appropriate entry for the confined water site, which may be just walking into deep water.

Dive 3
Deep water entry (suggested seated back roll) – Use the most appropriate entry for the confined water site, which may be just walking into deep water.

Dive 4
Use entry techniques appropriate for the local area or any unique techniques. You may have divers practice a controlled seated entry, with or without equipment on. If practiced without equipment on, divers can put on their scuba kit in the water, which meets half of the remove/ replace scuba kit at the surface requirement.

Dive 5
Practice entry techniques for the local area.

It is a progressive teaching sequence. Now, the GTT is not a 'standard'. If I choose not to teach the giant stride as part of CW Dive 2, I am not in violation of a specific standard. But, there is clearly an expectation that I will teach students how to make the best deep water entry for the existing environment, and it is recommended that I teach the three particular entry techniques. If I choose to vary the sequence, or add another technique appropriate for the environment, I have that prerogative. As it turns out, I usually teach the three deep water entry techniques in that sequence: giant stride, followed by back-roll (my personall favorite entry technique), followed by controlled seated entry. Many Instructors I know and work with do the same.

The description of the expectations of the Instructor during the Open Water dives is different. (The PADI philosophy is that specific skills - with the excpetion of compass navigation - have already been taught in Confined Water, so the emphasis shifts from skill teaching to dive planning, and to evaluation of the student's fitness for certification. Perhaps, 'dive planning' is one of the hidden skills. :)

Dive 1
Describe the dive from start to finish, including what student divers can expect to see, where and how they will enter, exit, descend and ascend.

Dive 2
Include student divers in dive planning by guiding them through evaluating conditions and discussing entry and exit techniques and locations, . . . .

Dive 3
. . . . have student divers plan the dive based on your description of the dive site. Provide guidance as necessary regarding dive conditions, entry and exit techniques and locations, . . . .

Dive 4
. . . . have student divers independently plan the dive based on your description of the dive site similar to what they did in preparation for the confined water minidive. . . . The goal is for student divers to transition to certified entry-level divers with reasonable self confidence in their ability to plan and execute dives appropriate for PADI Open Water Divers. Confirm that they evaluate dive conditions and discuss and plan entry and exit techniques and locations . . .

In Open water, I start off by telling the students what entry to use, then increase their involvement in decision-making with each dive. OK, I admit, I may 'encourage' them in their selection at times. For instrance, I have one open water site I occassionally use, where there is a dock that sits about 6 feet above the water's surface. And, I have all of the students do a back roll off that dock. There is usually a bit of hyperventilation on their part. But, afterwards, they tell me how much fun it was.)

The point of this detail is to illustrate that there is usually more to an agency's teaching approach than may meet the eye. It may appear that BSAC, for instance, includes more skills than many divers will ever encounter a need to use. But, what is included in the course needs to be understood in the context of the particular training philosiophy of the agency.

This discussion of 'hidden skills' is interesting. It has brought out the fact that, between various training / certificiation agencies there are different approaches successfully used by each. Some approaches are more 'all-inclusive', some may be more 'environment-drven'. Some approaches require a lengthier training period, some may be more compact. There are probably strengths and limitations associated with each approach and teaching philosophy. So, a 'consumer' - be s/he a student wishing to learn to dive, or an Instructor wishing to teach others, has choices available.

For me, one of the more interesting aspects of a discussion of what is 'hidden' was highlighted in an exchange about Well, actually what the slates 'say' is a bit more. The listed Skill on the front of the slate is 'Deep Water Entry'. The actual Performance Requirement, stated on the back of the slate is 'Make appropriate deep water entry'. The text in the Instructor Manual is the same. But, the expectation doesn't stop there.

For those familiar with the PADI system, it is understood that the PADI approach is quite a bit more involved and detailed than that. The appropriate source reference for the PADI Instructor conducting an OW course is NOT just the slates. They are simply a waterprooof 'quick reference' for the Instructor. It is also NOT just the Instructor Manual (IM). It necessarily also includes the Guide to Teaching (GTT). (Some years ago, PADI took the rather lengthy and detailed Instructor Manual, and parsed it, into an Instructor Manual, and the companion Guide to Teaching. The IM is revised yearly, to reflect specific chnages to standards / ratios / etc. The GTT is revised less frequently.)

So, understanding what is expected to be taught in a PADI OW course must include an understanding of both the IM and the GTT. Maybe, this could be considered to be a set of 'hidden skills', although they are not 'hidden' to Instructors. This information is NOT included on the (quick-reference) slates, in the interest of keeping the text as concise as possible. Looking at the GTT, here is what the Instructor is expected to consider with regard to entry technqiues taught in the Confined Water portion of the course.

Dive 1
Water entry – Have student divers enter shallow water without their scuba equipment.

Dive 2
Deep water entry (suggested giant stride) – Use the most appropriate entry for the confined water site, which may be just walking into deep water.

Dive 3
Deep water entry (suggested seated back roll) – Use the most appropriate entry for the confined water site, which may be just walking into deep water.

Dive 4
Use entry techniques appropriate for the local area or any unique techniques. You may have divers practice a controlled seated entry, with or without equipment on. If practiced without equipment on, divers can put on their scuba kit in the water, which meets half of the remove/ replace scuba kit at the surface requirement.

Dive 5
Practice entry techniques for the local area.

It is a progressive teaching sequence. Now, the GTT is not a 'standard'. If I choose not to teach the giant stride as part of CW Dive 2, I am not in violation of a specific standard. But, there is clearly an expectation that I will teach students how to make the best deep water entry for the existing environment, and it is recommended that I teach the three particular entry techniques. If I choose to vary the sequence, or add another technique appropriate for the environment, I have that prerogative. As it turns out, I usually teach the three deep water entry techniques in that sequence: giant stride, followed by back-roll (my personall favorite entry technique), followed by controlled seated entry. Many Instructors I know and work with do the same.

The description of the expectations of the Instructor during the Open Water dives is different. (The PADI philosophy is that specific skills - with the excpetion of compass navigation - have already been taught in Confined Water, so the emphasis shifts from skill teaching to dive planning, and to evaluation of the student's fitness for certification. Perhaps, 'dive planning' is one of the hidden skills. :)

Dive 1
Describe the dive from start to finish, including what student divers can expect to see, where and how they will enter, exit, descend and ascend.

Dive 2
Include student divers in dive planning by guiding them through evaluating conditions and discussing entry and exit techniques and locations, . . . .

Dive 3
. . . . have student divers plan the dive based on your description of the dive site. Provide guidance as necessary regarding dive conditions, entry and exit techniques and locations, . . . .

Dive 4
. . . . have student divers independently plan the dive based on your description of the dive site similar to what they did in preparation for the confined water minidive. . . . The goal is for student divers to transition to certified entry-level divers with reasonable self confidence in their ability to plan and execute dives appropriate for PADI Open Water Divers. Confirm that they evaluate dive conditions and discuss and plan entry and exit techniques and locations . . .

In Open water, I start off by telling the students what entry to use, then increase their involvement in decision-making with each dive. OK, I admit, I may 'encourage' them in their selection at times. For instrance, I have one open water site I occassionally use, where there is a dock that sits about 6 feet above the water's surface. And, I have all of the students do a back roll off that dock. There is usually a bit of hyperventilation on their part. But, afterwards, they tell me how much fun it was.)

The point of this detail is to illustrate that there is usually more to an agency's teaching approach than may meet the eye. It may appear that BSAC, for instance, includes more skills than many divers will ever encounter a need to use. But, what is included in the course needs to be understood in the context of the particular training philosiophy of the agency.
Thanks for expanding on my post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom