PADI instructor course materials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craig chamberlain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everyone

So i have just completed my PADI divemaster course about 3 weeks ago in Egypt. My intensions are definately becoming a PADI instructor. Before i did my divemaster course i bought the materials (books, slates, decal etc) a few years before i started the course so i could read them many times. I intend to do the same with the IDC exept i will be doing the course around september this year.

I was wondering wether the materials will still be in date/valid in 9-12 months time?

Also i was wondering why the are so expensive, like 400 pounds for books, apart from the reason of PADI = put another dollar in?

here is a link to the materials i would buy... PADI Instructor Development Course Crew Pack Latest
please tell me if there is anything missing

Thanks
Craig Chamberlain

Hi Everyone

So i have just completed my PADI divemaster course about 3 weeks ago in Egypt. My intensions are definately becoming a PADI instructor. Before i did my divemaster course i bought the materials (books, slates, decal etc) a few years before i started the course so i could read them many times. I intend to do the same with the IDC exept i will be doing the course around september this year.

I was wondering wether the materials will still be in date/valid in 9-12 months time?

Also i was wondering why the are so expensive, like 400 pounds for books, apart from the reason of PADI = put another dollar in?

here is a link to the materials i would buy... PADI Instructor Development Course Crew Pack Latest
please tell me if there is anything missing

Thanks
Craig Chamberlain

The materials listed on the website are fairly comprehensive and basically encompass everything you will need when taking the IDC. However, if you have recently become a DM, chances are you will already have a fair amount of the reading materials. Do you have the most current digital version of the Instructor Manual?

However, what you will probably NOT have are the teaching slates (cue cards) for those courses. The IDC Candidate packages usually include the lesson planning slates for open & confined water teaching.

Here is a list of the REQUIRED materials from the current Course Director Manual:

Instructor Candidate Materials
Required
The PADI Dive Center, Resort, Course Director and/or IDC Staff Instructor conducting the course ensures that instructor candidates have, in their possession, a personal, current set of the following materials for study and use during the course and for reference afterward; unless the materials are not available in a language understood by the candidate:

• PADI Instructor Manual
• PADI’s Guide to Teaching
• PADI Specialty Course Instructor Manual, or these specialty course instructor guides: Peak Performance Buoyancy, Project AWARE and AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation
• PADI Open Water Diver Manual
• Recreational Dive Planner – RDP Table and eRDPML, including Instructions for Use booklets
• How to Use and Choose Dive Computers book
• Open Water Diver Quizzes and Exam booklet
• Adventures in Diving Manual
• PADI Rescue Diver Manual
• Rescue Diver Final Exams booklet
• PADI Divemaster Manual
• Divemaster Final Exams booklet
• Aquatic Cue Cards for Open Water Diver, Adventures in Diving, Rescue Diver, Divemaster and Discover Scuba Diving
• Confined Water Lesson Preparation slate
• Open Water Training Dive Lesson Planning slate
• The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
• Diving Knowledge Workbook or eRecord for Dive Theory Online

I would definitely shop around for pricing on these materials. Of course you should make sure that they are all current. Generally, PADI does not do a major update to their courses from year to year: check on the PADI Pros website to determine which are "the most recentt" versions; they may not actually be 2012 but may well be 2010 or 2011.

Bonne chance,

Hi Craig,

I am guessing from your other posts that you have already bought your Crewpack, right?

To be honest, I wouldn't spend too much time studying these materials before your IDC. As long as you know how the Instructor Manual works, ie where you need to be looking to find stuff, you will be fine. You are not expected to know all the standards off the top of your head. The standards exam is open book.

What I would recommend, however, is that you study your dive theory. You did your Divemaster course recently so you will have taken the "new" version of the course with just two exams, instead of the older version of the DM course where you took 8 exams. The new curriculum has a different level of theory than the old curriculum and one which falls short of the level required for your IDC. Please note that dive theory is not taught as part of the PADI IDC and so you will be expected to have a good level before you start.

There are a few ways you can do this. Buy a Diving Knowledge Workbook and use this alongside your Encyclopedia to study. Or sign up for the Dive Theory online course with PADI (the most expensive option).

If you are still looking to choose your IDC facility, you could try PADI Career Development Center and PADI IDC courses in Mexico and Caribbean in Playa del Carmen. Once you sign up with them they give you access to their online Student Portal where you will find study notes and exams to help you.

One other thing about your IDC Crewpack - make sure you keep hold of the hologram decal! It is the most valuable thing in there and you will need to attach it to your paperwork to sit the Instructor Exams.

HI,

I was thinking about taking my instructor with Padi somewhen in the next future an I was wondering how the course works.
From the poor information I collected there is about a week of training with a course director and a 3 days exam.
I am wondering how the course develops and what are the requirements to pass the exam.

Does anybody can give a summary?

Many thanks.

Thom.

Hi Craig,

I am guessing from your other posts that you have already bought your Crewpack, right?

To be honest, I wouldn't spend too much time studying these materials before your IDC. As long as you know how the Instructor Manual works, ie where you need to be looking to find stuff, you will be fine. You are not expected to know all the standards off the top of your head. The standards exam is open book.

What I would recommend, however, is that you study your dive theory. You did your Divemaster course recently so you will have taken the "new" version of the course with just two exams, instead of the older version of the DM course where you took 8 exams. The new curriculum has a different level of theory than the old curriculum and one which falls short of the level required for your IDC. Please note that dive theory is not taught as part of the PADI IDC and so you will be expected to have a good level before you start.

There are a few ways you can do this. Buy a Diving Knowledge Workbook and use this alongside your Encyclopedia to study. Or sign up for the Dive Theory online course with PADI (the most expensive option).

If you are still looking to choose your IDC facility, you could try PADI Career Development Center and PADI IDC courses in Mexico and Caribbean in Playa del Carmen. Once you sign up with them they give you access to their online Student Portal where you will find study notes and exams to help you.

One other thing about your IDC Crewpack - make sure you keep hold of the hologram decal! It is the most valuable thing in there and you will need to attach it to your paperwork to sit the Instructor Exams.

Hi Thom,

I run IDCs on the west coast of Thailand. My IDCs start with a three day 'Prep Course', practising theory exams, skill demonstrations and rescues. I then run the IDC over nine days. During this time you learn how to deliver the various teaching presentations that you will finally be evaluated on at the IE. The IE itself is either a two-day or a two and a half day programme conducted by PADI staff, where you are evaluted in theory and standards exams, classroom presentations and in Confined and Open Water teaching presentations.

If you'd like to hear more, then PM me your e-mail address and I can frward you further information...

Hope that helps a little...

HI,

I was thinking about taking my instructor with Padi somewhen in the next future an I was wondering how the course works.
From the poor information I collected there is about a week of training with a course director and a 3 days exam.
I am wondering how the course develops and what are the requirements to pass the exam.

Many thanks.

Thom.

From the CD Manual:

Minimum – when candidates complete online independent study
[Total] IDC: 5 days
AI Course: 2 days
OWSI Program: 3 days

Minimum – when all course curriculum delivered in class
[Total] IDC: 7 days
AI Course: 4 days
OWSI Program: 5 days

During the IDC you must pass several academic exams as well as in water evaluations. As an IDC Candidate you are basically "taught how to teach"; to look at divers from an Instructor's POV. This includes learning how to teach academics, in confined water, and open water.

IDCs are conducted by Course Directors and IDC Staff Instructors (although Master Instructors have also been known to function in the IDC Staff role). If you pass you are then authorized attend an Instructor Examination (IE) which is conducted by an Instructor Examiner from PADI. (An IE is a Course Director who works directly for PADI doing these evaluations.) The IE can be 2-3 days, depending on actual location & circumstances.

Hope this answered some of your questions...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom