PADI Holds The New World's Record for Fastest OW Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

es601:
If Cousteau can dynamite a channel into the Blue Hole why can't I plant my fin on a Purple Fan Coral????????:D

Because Cousteau had better Spin Control than you do :)

Paul in VT

Web Monkey:
I'm pretty sure I've found a new record in "way-too-fast-OW-certification".

Terry

From the Pool (Never-ever) to Rebreathers on a simulated combat mission :)

And they even go out of their way to make you quit...bet you won't see that from PADI or any other recreational agency :)

Paul in VT

I could have done my OW class that fast. Entire book and video was home study. Just took the test, very easy and about 40 minutes of total time.

First day in pool work, had 3 other days schedule instructor decided to cancel last two days of pool work after the first session.

That weekend 3 OW dives, next Weekend 3 OW dives (All boat dives).

Technically, I could have done all that in a weekend. Some people can do the work without the class time. I've yet to sit in a class setting for diving that I gained anything from, because I take time to learn the material before class.

While I would certainly agree that some people couldn't complete a class in a weekend, the fact is people are diving in those discover scuba classes in just a few hours. It's not a big leap from that to certification.

The reality is that many places do self-study. That is all classroom work is eliminated. You show up with proof that you passed the test - do a long pool session in the evening after work, then maximum of 3 open water dives allowed per day per PADI. So I don't see how it can be done any faster than over a 2 day period - however minimal one of those two days might be.

What's sad is that this is being done at all.

xiSkiGuy:
Does it leave new divers lacking in information and skill? Yes.
. . .

Or would you be happier with another PADI bashing thread?

I'm happy to bash anybody that sets new divers up to fail and get hurt.

Maybe I should have changed the topic to include all teaching facilities that crank out a new "diver" in a couple of days. I didn't realize it was that widespread.

xiSkiGuy:
Does it leave new divers lacking in information and skill? Yes.

Web Monkey, instead of focusing on what is lacking, maybe you should be offering to mentor or tutor new divers. . .

I already do.

OW takes as long as it takes, not just until the clock expires.

Terry

We always call over booked boats "cattle" boats. I think that is exactly what the agencies are doing now. Trying to certify as many people in shorter time. It's like a high speed conveyor belt just pumping them out.

I would think that putting my name as the instructor on these c-cards would be enough to WANT to cover everything possible. If someone dies in a scuba accident, I wouldn't want to be the instructor on his card. Talk about bad publicity.

I'm all for good debate about quality but this topic is so beaten to death.

If the real goal is to improve quality standards then write PADI (as I have done). These threads also tend to overlook the positive impact of PADI. More people learned to dive and developed a passion for diving through PADI. Think about how this may extend to environmental awareness and concern for example. I bet scuba divers, even bad divers, are more aware and are more concerned about the health of the ocean than other groups for example. There are good and bad divers certified from every agency. PADI certifies more so that means they have more bad apples. It also means they have more 'good' divers than any other agency in shear numbers.

--Matt

My course was 3 days.
Read book watched video, twice actually.
Went to pool with instructor, one on one traing, he showed me required skills.
Next morning two boat dives both starting with approx. 10 minutes of required skills which
I had learned the previous day, then followed the instructor around the reef.
Last morning two boat dives with ten minutes at begining of each dive reinforcing the skills and doing underwater naviagation.
Then the captain gave me the test while instructor went for a dive.
Total time 1.5 days.

Does that mean I am a good diver, no. But, it does mean I did everything required to get my OW class and feel confident to dive without a buddy instead of with an Instructor

I think before you continue to PADI bashing that is so easy to find on this board, you have to consider which divers you are talking about. Granted, you are probably very right on everything that has been said about a diver getting certified in that short a time. However, I dont think you can completely discredit an agency for this. If there is anyone to critize, wouldnt it be the instructors? Sure, PADI has not stopped the instructors, but in all reality, dont they do everything required by pretty much every agency (I admit I do not know much about others, as I have always been with PADI) requires: they make sure the student passes the knowledge and completes the dives safely. Does that make these divers the best ever? No, but it got them the minimun requirement. Just as easily as you say that it is a waste to put a card in a diver's hand that quickly, I can sit here and make a perfectly legitimate argument that it is crazy to spend so long in a class. I spent over 2 months doing just the classroom and pool session, and I had a fabulous instuctor. But in all reality, everyone who took that class was going to pass, because they had so many chances to hear about the concepts. I learned them in about 5 minutes. I picked up my book when I first got it, and read for a few hours, then did not pick it up the rest of the class. How did I do? I didnt miss a single question the entire course. Could I have been at the same comfort level after a weekend? Probably. Am I the norm? Probably not. All I am trying to say is it is really stupid just to bash an agency on this one thing. This entire board bashes PADI constantly, and I really dont see why. I like to think I was taught everything very well, and if put against someone from another agency with the same number of dives, I would be able to hold my own very well. Please guys, get off the PADI bashing. I really wonder how many people dont read these boards because of all of it...

Web Monkey:
I'm happy to bash anybody that sets new divers up to fail and get hurt.

Maybe I should have changed the topic to include all teaching facilities that crank out a new "diver" in a couple of days. I didn't realize it was that widespread.
It is quite widespread. Although, I think you would be hard pressed to show how this has contributed to divers being hurt at a greater rate than with the older, more exhaustive courses. Granted, improvements in equipment might be offsetting injuries that are due to a lack of training and thus keeping the rate of injury the close to the same.

I'm not sure that the "weekend" courses are all bad. I think exposing more people to the sport is a good thing. I think we really need is better AOW training. Something that covers dive planning, trim, and buoyancy in the way that an intro tech course like deco procedures or cavern cert does.

Web Monkey:
I already do.

OW takes as long as it takes, not just until the clock expires.

Terry
That what it takes. Thanks for being part of the "solution".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom