PADI Elearning and my local dive center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy Lazar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
If I list a dive center when I sign up for an elearning class, like Nitrox, does the dive center get any of the money or does it all go to PADI? $210 seems way too much to pay for a Nitrox class online and then have to pay my local center to do their part.

I just received an email from the dive center saying they charge $150 for their portion of the class so now the price is $360. I've tried to explain to them that all I need is the "hands on portion" but they insist that the price is $150 for that part. This is on top of what PADI gives them out of my original $210.

.... or, are they ones who take you diving, and make you demonstrate your knowledge on a dive with the dive(s) are included in the fee? I'm not saying its even close to an economical choice..... just wondering because of the (high) price.....

150.00 may be for the traditional class. WAYYYY too much for the hands on portion. Look around for another shop.

If I list a dive center when I sign up for an elearning class, like Nitrox, does the dive center get any of the money or does it all go to PADI? $210 seems way too much to pay for a Nitrox class online and then have to pay my local center to do their part.

Most of the money goes to PADI. I think about $50.00 goes to the dive shop you list in elearning.

I've seen the process in two different shops in my area and neither charges anything extra for you to come in, talk to a certified PADI instructor and analyze a few cylinders.

ouch.....

Sad part is I literally drive past 2 other shops to get to this one 30 miles from my house just because I have always been treated well at this shop. I've spent literally thousands of dollars with them including spending an extra 2 dollars per bottle for a refill as opposed to a shop very near them. I'm hoping I'm just premature in my complaining and the 2 people i've dealt with so far are wrong and the mgr who i've always had a great relationship with will see that........well, see that i'm getting raped. Even though the initial $210 I paid for the online portion is high it was disclosed and I made the choice to pay it, what I have a problem with is paying for something that I feel they have already been paid for and also the fact that it wasn't disclosed prior to me signing up for the class. (that part I blame PADI for. They need to have worked out a price with the Local dive shop and either included it in the original amount or at least have me click on something saying I will be responsible for another fee)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom