PADI E-Learning Duration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Northwoodfrisbee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I am thinking of taking PADI e-learning but am wondering if I am able to recall the information on the class at any time I need it, or do I have a time limit in which to access the information? Any help is appreciated as always!

E-learning certainly has its place, but you will never replace one-on-one time with an expert. IMHO, the OW class is too short as it is in most cases. If I were paying an instructor to teach me to dive, I would make sure s/he spent as much time as possible explaining things to me

When I took the open water course, we had very little classroom work. I bought a book, was told to complete the chapters before the first class day, read it, answered the knowledge reviews and waited until the first day of the class. When the class started, we talked for a bit to introduce ourselves and then changed clothes to start the pool sessions. There was no class room instruction before the pool work. At the end of day 1, we reveiwed the materials in the chapters so we could take the chapter quizzes but did not have any lectures. The instructor was available to answer any questions but no lectures. Day two ran similar to day 1 but after the chapter quiz we took the final test. Again the instructor was there to explain stuff but there was no lecture/classroom work.

I looked into the internet class, but went through the LDS. I thought it would be better for me incase I had questions but I found that I would have been fine had I done the book work on line. I also think the LDS wanted to sell me a book along with the other stuff I bought (before I found the online dive stores). I am cool with supporting and buying my stuff at my LDS, just wanted to know what the mark up is/was before buying.

However, I should say that a while ago (before I was a lawyer), I got a ticket and when I had my court appearance I had the option of taking the in class version or driver safety with my court supervision or doing the online version. I choose the online version and had 6 months to get it done. I had to go to court and ask for an extension because I kept putting it off. I then had three months to do it and spent the evening before the deadline completing the class on my computer for 4 hours so I would not have to beg the judge and get yelled at.

I am not sure if the online diving class would have worked out the same way but it is possible.

What ever you decide to do, I hope that you do it soon, so you can come out to enjoy the beautiful underwater world we are all obsessed about.

Yea, online drivers ed, nobody really thinks they need to learn how to drive again. OW for the first time is a bit different. If the instructor did nothing but go over your knowledge reviews, I'm surprised. Even in the shortest of classes, that is a prime opportunity to pass on pieces of knowledge that aren't in the class curriculum, and elaborate on info that is included.

There is no time limit as i recall, only drawback i have about it is that people pay PADI for the elearning and then expect the price to be knocked off by the PADI instructor for the practical sessions again making things tighter for the Instructor..

I think that my instructor gave out loads of information and clarification. I passed the test so I think I got what I needed out of it. Enough for basic info that is and now it is up to me to learn more. I think I got a lot of info while in the pool which would have been the same whether I went through the

But I think the e-learning course is supposed to take the place of buying the book and having to read the book before the class. You do all the work online and then go to the instructor after you are done. You still have to pay for the pool sessions/open water certs. Plus you need to buy the eRDP/tables which makes the cost probably higher than the buying the book and doing the class work through the lds.

Cervesa- I agree with you. And that was one of the reasons that I, at first, considered doing the e-learning class. But when I met my instructor and the shop people, I felt better and decided to go through the shop. As a small business owner, I get alot of questions about reducing my fees and charges for a whole host of reasons. It is up to me to either agree or risk letting that person walk to another who will reduce the fee. Personally, I will not reduce my fees for strangers or infrequent customers and am happy to let the people go to whom ever. Even if it means lost revenue. The way I see it, if they want do it on the cheap, they can go to someone else 1) because I cant compromise my service for less and 2) people who are looking for price break and that is the first question they have are generally a big pain in the !@# and want everything for cheap. I think the worse thing for any one in any business is the jamoke down the street from you who does discount his rates and compromises service and puts you down because you cant or wont. But that is competition and there is little that we can do about it.

I Did my e-learning a few months ago, but I have to wait till April to start my Pool classes. I know my LDS offers (free) private schedule with e-learning and offers same Padi intro course pack minus the DVD. Dont think that is too bad.. now my question is, should I take the private classes or do classes with the other people. What I was thinking and i dont think they would mind is taking the regular pool classes and taking a private class or 2 for anything I may need some extra work on. Will see what happens. All I know is that I cant wait till April to start my pool classes. =):D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom