Padi Dm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman:
I finally passed ALLLLLLLL of the written exams. None of them were easy. Not rocket science, but not easy.
The Wheel would be easier to teach than the tables for new divers. What I didn't like about it is as accurate as the person reading it...I used a magnifying glass and that helped.
After completing the last test my instructor told me to be at the pool in 3 hours for the first pool instruction. Two hours after that we did the equiptment exchange! Passed and didn't drown. Now comes the 1200 meter cement block, rescue breathing buddy tow.

Congrats! I'm going to try to finish up the exams this weekend. Watermanship skills are done. Just have the gear exchange and class assisting. There aren't a lot of classes around here, so that might take a while. I agree with you on the wheel. I've never used one before, but I like it.

Hey Lawman,
Where from In MI? Im Metro Detroit. I attempted to take the DM cource in January, through my local dive shop, but realized I was not ready. Mainly it was the Physics that scared me so bad. :11: I tried a few of the sample problems and found I was totaly cluless. I have relativly weak math skills, can you provide any insite :06: , what was this book you mentioned?

Regards -A.

When I took the DM test late last year, I also found the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving very useful, and not only for the physics portion. The actual DM manual didn't come anywhere near as close to being helpful as the Encyclopedia (personally). I thought that I would do poorly on the Physics test, but I aced it. What I had to re-test on was the Dive Planner section. We get so used to computers that it is easy to get out of practice with the tables/wheel. The companion workbook that goes along with the Encyclopedia will also be an invaluable tool in studying for the DM test, and a good reference in the future. Also, your OW, AOW, and Rescue books are sources to bone up on for different parts of the test. Good luck!!

Good Luck in Your Quest for DM..Most of the Training is a culmination of all the things that began Your Diving Experience up thru Rescue. Physics, Planning, and Tables are clearly forgot by Divers due to Computers. After You get Your rating..continue to use the things You learn..or they will be forgotten. When You start to help instructors in the water..ask to teach these topics in class and it will keep You current in Your abilities.

In My Quest for Master Scuba Diver Trainer...

diver567:
gj62 is correct on the basics and he is also right about what you're going to need to know for the exams, however it is good to understand a little more about the physics involved in the sport that you are doing every day. I found the NOAA encylopedia of diving really useful in helping me understand physics as well as all other aspects of diving and the aquatic world.

That's a good one. Also, you might try the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, along with the Workbook, which pretty much follows the sections you'll need to know for the DM test. The actual DM book was about the most useless in terms of preparing for the test. It's great for the course, but little else. Re-read the main points in the OW, AOW and Rescue Diver manuals, too. These together should give you all you need to know for the course and test. Good luck. I thought the Physics would be the most intimidating, but I aced that. I had to retest on the Wheel and RDP section. :confused: I've since entered RDP rehab and have made a full recovery. Ciao...

As a newbie DM, I'll chime in on the Encyclopedia/Workbook's being a great resource for the DM exams. Be sure to read through the explanations of right and wrong answers as you're going through the workbook. It'll help you anticipate pitfalls.

Good luck with the remainder of the course,
Grier

Once you have finished with the PADI encyclopedia, if you are still hungry for more, there is a stack of great (but far more advanced) info in the Technical Diver Encyclopedia (IANTD) by Tom Mount.

Congrats on your test scores (last April) :cheers:

I’ll guess you’re a certified DM now.

Since we’ve resurrected this post, I also want to comment on the dive wheel issue.

The DM instructor should not have to teach a DM candidate how to use a wheel. If he/she doesn’t already know, wheels are cheap, readily available and come with full instructions. And I agree that the accuracy with reading a wheel is a weak point.

DeepDog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom