PADI DM exam part 1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello all

I took both the PADI dive master online course and the Padi Dive Theory online course, in order to lighten up the workload and focus more on the practical sides of my DM training, which starts in March.

With the Dive Theory online, which is apparently instructor level material, I get credit for part 2 of the DM written exam, which is really nice.

However I still do have to pass Part 1 of the written exam.

I'd like to prepare for this or rather keep it fresh (since I've already covered the material in the DM online course).

Would anyone know what chapters / sections of the divemaster handbook I should focus for Part 1 of the DM exam?

I think it's mostly on standards and role model behavior (I've found the following description: Part 1 tests knowledge relating to supervising divers and instructional activities) , so my guess is chapters 1 to 7 - not sure if chapter 6 is included in this set-up.

I'll be taking it in 2.5 months, so I'll try and go through the knowledge reviews again, and probably type up basic notes, I really want to get the written exam part behind me so I can focus on practical aspects (+ I'm also training in the French Fed/ CMAS system so have plenty of non-PADI theory on my plate as well).

thanks a bunch!
ben

Last edited:
Go through and be familiar with and comfortable with knowledge reviews and other questions from Chapters 1-7. Part 1 of the test is much easier than Part 2. Very straight forward.

one important thing is to be comfortable finding info in the IM. If its paper based, put some bookmarks in for relevant things like key ratios. if its digital - know how to search.

Reactions: yle
Thanks, I'll just review the dm knowledge reviews regularly - Otherwise I have a paper based instructor manual and will bookmark the ratios and other aspects brought up in the DM manual, thanks for the tip.

Is chapter 6 included in part one of the exam as well or is this more of a part 2 section?

It was also covered in the dive skills section of the dive theory online course (search patterns, navigation etc)

I'm looking at the DM exam right now. Part 1 is a general overview of:
Your obligations as a PADI pro
Your role as a DM (i.e. supervising divers, assisting w/ classes, etc)
Standards (ratios and other restrictions) for courses
The business of diving

Pretty much chapters 1 through 7. The majority of the questions are on the middle two topics, because they involve your interaction with the divers you'll work with (and so it could be argued that this is the more important part.)

Try not to stress over it. If you know your stuff, you should be able to ace it. That's the point of the exam, to make sure you know the material.

Good luck!

Is chapter 6 included in part one of the exam as well or is this more of a part 2 section?

Yes, there are a handful of chapter 6 questions in Part 1. Nothing technical, more like general knowledge. As the others suggested, going over the KR's for the chapters should set you up pretty well.

Also, the questions on the exam (as with all PADI exams) are arranged in order that the material appears in the manual. That is, Chap 1 questions are first, then Chap 2, etc. This should make the exam a little easier to navigate also.

Thanks, this is all very helpful! I was also talking to the instructor I'll be working with and he told me that compared to part 2, the first part is really straight forward - I'll just focus on the knowledge reviews from now on, eventually skimming through the manual a couple of times as well.

thanks again!

ben

it felt mostly general knowledge. If applicable visualize yourself in the situation and evaluate the options presented, that will help you find the correct answer. I didn't find the exam overly difficult but think through the questions presented and what is likely being looked for and you will be fine.

Part 1 is incredibly easy and open book. The hardest question was one that you have to refer to an older version of the instructor manual because none of the options are correct in the new version.
If you did the knowledge reviews you should be good to go.

Ok, great - I can relax then!

thanks for chiming in guys

cheers

ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom