PADI Diver Numbers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI occasionally publishes stats on this. Last time I saw them was a while ago, and I think it was something like 15% of OW divers get their AOW, and 5% (maybe 3%?) of OW divers end up getting Rescue. Seems the fraction decreases exponentially with the level of training.
Do you know the numbers for nitrox? I understand that is the most popular con ed course

Do you know the numbers for nitrox? I understand that is the most popular con ed course

The numbers I posted earlier are my best recollection of something PADI published in an issue of Undersea Journal a while ago (maybe a couple years?) They only included OW, AOW, Rescue, and I think DM. I just remember the fraction of OW that continued to AOW was pretty low, below 20%.

If I remember right, PADIs intent of publishing the numbers was to illustrate to shops and instructors that there is a huge number of OW divers that might want some con ed. But they didn't give nitrox numbers.

I would bet that anyone interested in nitrox would also take AOW... so nitrox certs are probably fewer than AOW certs. And yes, I've also heard that nitrox (for good reason) is the most popular "specialty" course.

How can one be a card collector if they only give one card??

How can one be a card collector if they only give one card??

Please explain.
It's an arrogant insult. It means that anyone who takes a class to learn something and gets a card to show for it is just in it to collect cards and deserves to be spat upon. Of course, his students are different. They take classes for the love of learning and not to collect cards.

It's an arrogant insult. It means that anyone who takes a class to learn something and gets a card to show for it is just in it to collect cards and deserves to be spat upon.

That is a very interesting interpretation of the question. I interpreted it as more of an esoteric philosophical question: how can there be a collection of cards when there is only one card?

Seems like it's a kind of Rorschach test... everyone sees it differently.

As for the spitting... didn't see that at all.

I was confused, as I guess hroark was talking about the previous posts here that discussed putting all certs. on one card. Since at least with PADI that doesn't happen--thus my confusion. With PADI you take a course and get a card. So you can be a "card collector" or be taking the course to learn something--like those who take 5 specialties but don't care about the MSD card and don't want to spend the money it costs to get it ($50?). Sorry I opened a small can of worms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom