Padi concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tj Bez

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi I recently advised padi I had witnessed an instructor in hurghada signing off blank certification for people for money. They allegedly investigated and have done nothing . I had threats to keep my mouth shut about this scam. I want to raise a formal complaint with padi as I feel they did not investigate the concerns properly and were not interested. Any suggestions as this is really dangerous? Thanks for any suggestions and support

In my opinion, this does nothing to hurt anyone aside from the people getting their cert blessed. And PADIs reputation, but that’s their problem.

How did you make this report? Reports are made in writing and take months to get through the system. They are compared with other reports, maybe PADI will take immediate action, maybe not, but you will never hear of it. PADI will not call you unless they want more info.

PADI will take your report and do an investigation to make sure what you saw happen is what actually happened. I am sure you understand that they cannot just blast an instructor because someone they do't know sent in a report--they have to be sure they are doing the right thing. Nearly 20 years ago I wrote a letter about something I had witnessed. I got a reply asking for more information and providing me with a little more information as well. I never heard from them again, but when I checked the website of the organization involved, I saw they were no longer offering PADI instruction. A few years later I sent in some information about another problem I saw, and I got a reply asking for more information. It turned out I really could not identify the instructor with certainty, and it had to be dropped.

Every quarter they publish the list of the latest instructors who were disciplined, including being permanently expelled, so reports like this are not routinely ignored.

When I lived in Alexandria, Egypt a local instructor approached me about a similar issue. I advised him the best thing do is write everything down and send it to PADI. You can do this via e-mail. Be sure to give specific details. The more information you can provide the more prepared the investigator will be and the more likely something can be done. Otherwise, like boulderjohn has pointed out, little action can be taken.

I've had to deal with issues regarding another instructor from another state and dealt with PADI directly. HQ wanted specific details and as much as possible. After the information has been handed over don't be surprised not to hear from PADI unless it wants more details.

Hampshire? Might that be England?

Regardless of where, it would seem to be fraud. The instructor is committing a fraud by signing off people that haven't been trained, and it would be a fraud against the agency if no one else. It might also be seen as a form of "reckless endangerment" as now a presumably untaught diver will be set loose, perhaps to the ill of their assigned buddy, actions against operators, against the agency, and more. Sounds like you might want a word with the local authorities if you are sure that's what you saw.

It is possible that instructor was just signing off forms, with someone under their supervision to complete the paperwork at another time or place. The same way a CEO will often leave a couple of blank signed checks with someone "just in case". So just be sure you've really seen something improper before you start setting off alarms.

Doesn’t surprise me coming out of Egypt. Not like anyone is going to get anything by suing the instructor if one of these “students” kicks it. Cash in his pocket, tourists are happy, IF PADI investigates it won’t be overnight, and IF they do anything, the instructor will just cross over and keep doing it. It’s Africa man, rules are at best aa suggestion.

Hi I recently advised padi I had witnessed an instructor in hurghada signing off blank certification for people for money.

That's what instructors do, usually there is training and standards involved, but as long as all the paperwork is filled out properly there is no way for PADI, or most any other agency, to know that anything other than proper instruction transpired.

Bob

Doesn’t surprise me coming out of Egypt. Not like anyone is going to get anything by suing the instructor if one of these “students” kicks it. Cash in his pocket, tourists are happy, IF PADI investigates it won’t be overnight, and IF they do anything, the instructor will just cross over and keep doing it. It’s Africa man, rules are at best aa suggestion.

Just because it is Egypt doesn't mean anything. I've heard the same comments about Mexico. This stuff happens in the United States. Last summer I dealt with an issue that occurred in the U.S. This is how I know what PADI wants. During my conversations with PADI the most common thing that happens is the person informing PADI isn't able to provide enough information or not willing to put the complaint in writing to conduct a full investigation.

I can assure you if its in writing they will investigate , but unless its proven 100 % nothing will happen .... but they do kick people out if it is proven

Put yourself in an instructor's place--if someone accuses you of something, you will darn sure expect your agency to do a proper investigation before giving you the boot. I was a school teacher for a while and then a school administrator. Children are regularly going home to their parents to tell them what terrible thing their teacher did that day, 90% of which is not true. The parent then contacts the administration demanding immediate action. It would only be a new and inexperienced administrator who would immediately act on that complaint without first making a competent investigation, but it does happen. Then it gets ugly.

Back
Top Bottom