PADI AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way tables were made and used there is no NDL after 190’. A computer might give a bit more, but I have no idea.

All that O2 information is correct, however I don’t know that it had anything to do with establishing the 130’ limit. He**, I can’t find the timeframe, before 1980 it was established, never mind why. That’s why I believe they followed the USN lead.

You have to understand that recreational deep and deco rec diving back in the early decades was done on air and to depths that would scare any sane diver today. I turned more than one deep dive because I felt odd, I never ox toxed, but that could have been why.

I wondered what usefulness Padi saw in Nav for Rescue. But I guess the notion of bearings and ranges. I did the Naui version. We swam on the surface to the distressed diver, descend where they did, bring them up, shed gear, rescue breaths, tow to shore, CPR. From a boat you might take a bearing to use the reciprocal to not get lost. We had two spread out 'bystanders' on the beach that we direct to guide us, basically two active ranges. Doing the Nav book first likely simplifies explaining what those are in rescue.

I wondered what usefulness Padi saw in Nav for Rescue. But I guess the notion of bearings and ranges.
And also the time-distance swim. Nice to have an idea of how long it takes to swim 100 ft if you are planning a search.

One instructor made me do a 100meter (!!) square in a 15foot vis lake. Emptied a tank trying. Got within 30 feet once, which I though wasn't too bad.

In other courses instructor only made me do a 4-kick cycle square.

So the navigation requirement is highly variable.....

One instructor made me do a 100meter (!!) square in a 15foot vis lake. Emptied a tank trying. Got within 30 feet once, which I though wasn't too bad.

In other courses instructor only made me do a 4-kick cycle square.

So the navigation requirement is highly variable.....
You took the nav class more than once?
The PADI standard is a square or rectangle with recommended sides totalling 30m/400 ft. Your four kick cycles per side is probably closer to 50-60 ft total!

You took the nav class more than once?
The PADI standard is a square or rectangle with recommended sides totalling 30m/400 ft. Your four kick cycles per side is probably closer to 50-60 ft total!

I've done NAV 3 times for "score". 2x for rescue due to change of instructors. Since I did rescue before advanced I had to repeat them all again for that. Was easier to just do them again than to try and talk my way out of it.

I did the NAV course in '07 at Vortex Spring in FL and enjoyed following flags the instructor planted by using compass degrees. It's a great course, but my diving is so simple I haven't had much use for the more complicated stuff.

Back
Top Bottom