PADI AOW Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are some of you saying that someone with the right specialties could get AOW without any additional dives?

This is a problem. One of the reasons to avoid shops that work like this.

That is NOT what the IM says! You have interpreted "PADI/AWARE" to mean AWARE only. In fact, look at the "Exception" printed after the material you quoted from the IM: it uses DUP as an example...which is not an AWARE course. Also, all those TB citations I gave indicated that any standardized PADI specialty is OK.

Yep, you are correct, and I was wrong. I should drink more coffee before I post...

Are some of you saying that someone with the right specialties could get AOW without any additional dives?
Yes, but.....you would need to be able to prove you had done the Knowledge Reviews (it is implied by having done the specialty, but is unfortunately sometimes glossed over), and there is an additional discussion section in AOW called "Thinking Like a Diver" that you would need to do. But no more dives, except....

There are some "gotcha's" in this. For example, the Deep full specialty has Adventure Diver or AOW as a prereq; alternatively, you can have a qualifying certification from another training organization., i.e. proof of certification beyond entry level (at least two certifi cations total) with proof of 20 or more logged dives
documenting experience in deep diving and underwater navigation.

For AOW, you need the Deep Adventure Dive (dive #1 of the 4-dive specialty) but NOT the full specialty.

So, depending on what PADI specialties you hold, maybe at most do a Deep Adventure Dive, since according to the prereqs you can't already have a Deep Specialty.

Sort of. The deep adventure dive is required for aow. You have to be an adventure diver or above to take the deep specialty. But if you have 3 specialties plus uw nav the you could take deep as your only additional aow dive and get the cert. or you could get the adventure cert cert first and do the deep specialty and then get aow with no additional dives

Sort of. The deep adventure dive is required for aow. You have to be an adventure diver or above to take the deep specialty. But if you have 3 specialties plus uw nav the you could take deep as your only additional aow dive and get the cert. or you could get the adventure cert cert first and do the deep specialty and then get aow with no additional dives
Or do deep with another agency that doesn't require adventure before deep...

Thanks everyone for the insight! I'm fairly new at all of this!

Imagine you have a nourishing soup simmering away for post dive heartiness

Do you really want to share the same burner with seared filet mignon

pan-seared-filet-mignon-header.jpg

Well do you?
I'm sure this has some meaning that goes way over my newbie head but both dishes look fantastic. Provided that filet is med-rare!

No because deep has aowd as a prerequisite. But i have to read the manual to be sure.

Your information is wrong because it is in conflict with PADI standards. I posted the standard straight out of the instructor manual.

You can count AOW dives toward specialties, but not the other way around. Specialty dives, conducted in specialty courses (except for AWARE) do not count for PADI's AOW.

You could do the deep, nav, S&R, Wreck and PPB specialties and get all five cert cards and NONE of the classes would count toward AOW.

If you took those dives in AOW, they'd count toward dive one of each specialty though.
I took the time and on page 46 (German) instructor manual its clearly written. Its possible to count a adventure dive as a first dive in a specialty AND the other way around. So you can do 4 specialtys including navigation and complete the aowd with just the deep dive.

So i am not wrong here, because its very clear in the manual. Look it up yourself.

Back
Top Bottom