Padang Bai / Bloo Lagoon / Absolute / Aswar PDG Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Spent a week diving in Bali earlier this year and wanted to share some info.
Stayed at Bloo Lagoon which was beautiful and close to town. The mini truck service was very convenient and easy especially for early morning diving. Note that all rooms are not created equally so maybe ask to see a few...
Dived with Absolute. Was leading a group of 6 friends all experienced divers but with some varying levels. I have some back / neck problems and require assistance with equipment / entering / exiting so had Aswar as my own private dive guide. Both Absolute and Aswar were really very extremely good.
Aswar was patient, careful, safe, listened, and knew the reef very very well. Aswar was a super seeker and founds lots of marine live big and small from sharks to nudi's to seahorse. I have had experience with lots of private dive guides in Bali and all over, and Aswar was at the top. After the dive, Aswar would spend time discussing what we saw and what we might see on the next dive which is always appreciated. I think Aswar had been a DG in Sulawesi and has a lot of experience. I would go there just to dive with him as a great guide can make almost any reef interesting.
There is easily enough within striking distance of Absolute to keep a group busy for 5 days or more. We did an organized trip to Nusa Penida including Manta Point which was really well down. Manta Point had maybe 25 manta which just hovered and circled for hours. Really special.
I would definitely go back and redo the trip and keep it the same.

PS: There is a local beautiful temple in town: Pura Preti Sentana Pasek Padang Subadra.
It has its own gamelan and its several dance groups. We happened to be there for a local festival day and it was magical. Definitely worth a visit, especially if the gamelan is playing with dancers. They often practice in the evenings before the festival so that is another opportunity.

I think Aswar had been a DG in Sulawesi and has a lot of experience. I would go there just to dive with him as a great guide can make almost any reef interesting.
Absolutely. Aswar originated from Central Sulawesi/Toraja was a dive guide for Murex Bangka for 9 years or so until 2017.
I always chose him as my private guide for the 6 trips I had there at that period. He's one of the best guides I've ever had. Add on top he's a very nice and talkative guy to have a drink with above water.

I'm late to the thread but I too know Aswar and originally met him in North Sulawesi (Bangka).

I've entered this thread to add that Aswar is also an Instructor.

Back
Top Bottom