Packing in carryons only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dianapage

New
Reaction score
Hello! We are traveling to Anguilla after Christmas, flying into St. Martin and taking a ferry to Anguilla. We've done this trip 3 times before, but we always checked our scuba gear. This time we have to go through San Juan, and the probability of checked luggage making it on the same plane with us is questionable. We'll be on Anguilla, not St. Martin, where our bags would arrive and where it would be very difficult to go back over to retrieve the luggage. My question is: how can we pack everything in carryons only? Anyone who has done this before and can advise, please help! Thanks in advance.

dianapage:
My question is: how can we pack everything in carryons only? Anyone who has done this before and can advise, please help! Thanks in advance.

Vacation at a nudist camp. Rent your SCUBA gear there. :eyebrow:

Dianna....
It really depends a lot on the type of gear that you have. I have two bcd's. One is the SQ PRO QD and the other is a DR transplate with Rec wing. The DR bcd I can pack very easily and compress the wing with no problems. It fits a small back pack with no problems at all. The SQ is another whole story. Big...Bulky....not good for traveling really as far as carry on goes.

If you cant get your bcd in your carry on....at least carry on your regs, computer and cameras. If you happen to go to TSA's website you will find that most all gear but knives and spearguns (duh!!) is carry on.

Drop a pm if you have any specific questions. And have fun !!!
/rich

Just give yourself plenty of time for check in. Some of the TSA screeners aren't familiar with scuba regulators so can get quite dumb founded when they see it on the screen. Be ready to take it out, I've had to every time so pack accordingly.

Watch your weight restrictions. When you go through San Juan you will have to check it at the plane, they will take it back off the plane and you'll get it as you walk off. Again pack accordingly with some padding as this goes into the luggage hold and can get bounced around.

chris

dianapage:
Hello! We are traveling to Anguilla after Christmas, flying into St. Martin and taking a ferry to Anguilla. We've done this trip 3 times before, but we always checked our scuba gear. This time we have to go through San Juan, and the probability of checked luggage making it on the same plane with us is questionable. We'll be on Anguilla, not St. Martin, where our bags would arrive and where it would be very difficult to go back over to retrieve the luggage. My question is: how can we pack everything in carryons only? Anyone who has done this before and can advise, please help! Thanks in advance.

It's possible, but some airlines (notably Quantas) are very touchy about two carryons and others, flying small aircraft, just don't have room in the cabin.

I try to go all carryon regularly by packing everything I need (mostly dive gear with the minimal clothing needed for casual tropical living) into a 21 or 22-inch rollaboard and a shoulder bag. I need to break some of my gear (BC and reg) down to squeeze it in.

My motivator was a woman who travelled with 16 of us to Egypt and Eritrea for a week of touring based in Cairo and two weeks on a liveaboard in the Red Sea. She did it with a rollaboard and a good-sized shoulder bag/purse - including all dive gear (except tanks and weights) and a Nikonos V with strobe).

Back
Top Bottom