Packing for Roatan -- CCV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaduba

Reaction score
We're going to CocoView for the first time on May 15. We're planning on one suitcase each for my wife and I and one carry size bag containing our regulators, masks, computers and change of clothes. And I will carry on our Pelican camera/housing/strobe case. See any problem with this scenario? We're flying Continental into San Pedro and Islena to Roatan. Could I also carry a back back without problem?

Thanks

scubaduba:
We're going to CocoView for the first time on May 15. We're planning on one suitcase each for my wife and I and one carry size bag containing our regulators, masks, computers and change of clothes. And I will carry on our Pelican camera/housing/strobe case. See any problem with this scenario? We're flying Continental into San Pedro and Islena to Roatan. Could I also carry a back back without problem?

Thanks

Why oh why would you use a Pellican case as a carry on? Pellicans are heavy, and their main use is obviated by your hand carrying the thing. Use a soft case with padding. Pellicans are for checking in as baggage. Put them inside a padded duffel bag to hide their value.

TACA limits you to one carry on at I believe 26#, but the Continental agent can advise you when you reconfirm your tix.

Do what you're comfortable with, but we always check our dive gear... all of it... except for dive computer (and perscription mask if you have one). We mark our bags with three (3!) seperate bag tags. All show "RTB CoCoView" as a destination.

If you're only taking one bag... why not take two? Pack some $1 store items for the maid's kids (NOT in place of a tip, but just for :) Hair bows, little toys, etc. School spiral paper notebooks, Crayola Brand crayons (they dont melt), little toys. It's a nice $30 spending spree that will make a lot of kids smile broadly.

If you have room, bring cool stuff for the dive crew or staff. There are two small children (Yomari and Ariel) who live on the small island that CCV sits upon. You may not ever see them, but if you bring a fun thing or two (they're aged 8 female & 10 male) you'll have made friends for life! Your DM prolly has kids, too. And a wife.

Tips good, tips and gifts even better!

scubaduba:

Thanks

Upon leaving, CCV will take all your dive gear and luggage the night before you check out. So be sure to carry one small back to use as a carry on for things you will need that night and the next morning. Just FYI.

Hope this helps.

BTW - You are going to love CCV. Spend some time crawling through the shallows on the way back to shore, you will be amazed at what you see. I saw a wonderful morays, conchs and other shy creatures feeding out in broad daylight in 1-3 feet of water. Lovely little treats.

Thanks for help and suggestions. I forgot to mention that we would have hard shells for our gear. So that would be two suitcases each and one carry on each. Sound OK?

Also, looks like we'll be getting some rain according to weather.com in roatan. Does the rain last long?

scubaduba:
Thanks for help and suggestions. I forgot to mention that we would have hard shells for our gear. So that would be two suitcases each and one carry on each. Sound OK?

Also, looks like we'll be getting some rain according to weather.com in roatan. Does the rain last long?

Erin form CoCoView put a very interesting post up on the 'discussion group' at http://www.cocoviewresort.com that mentions the fact the the 'official weather' website hasn't changed in a few months. Seems that the guy who was supposed to update it took the money and left.

She says... well, read her post. Hasn't rained much or a lot. We're in for as good time.

When you're there, look around at the rolling 1/2 shell soft bags with handles. That would be a good purchase for continued dive travel.

scubaduba:
We're going to CocoView for the first time on May 15.

Don't forget to pack the Cactus Juice!!!

Not much to add except you'll be there with a bunch of good folks...RoatanMan (Doc) as well as folks from our dive club. You're gonna have a blast! Be sure and get Doc to show you the secrets of the front yard!

Cutter's Skintastic worked the best on the noo-see-ums for us but whatever you use....use it often!

Back
Top Bottom