Packing for Bonaire - question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Replace the gloves by a good pair of booties, and most important: mosquito repellent!

I consider a SMB is part of my basic 'security gear', so I always bring a small one along with the whistle and mirror. Current or no current, if you need to get attention it's much more efficient than waving your arms.

thanks everyone. i did buy hard sole boots, so i'm good there. also bought mosquitoe repellent with DEET. keep the tips coming about dive sites, restaurants, anything. i really appreciate it.

donnad..leave the gloves & safety sausage at home. Really no need for it on Bonaire. Don't forget sunblock & a wide brimmed hat! Enjoy your trip!

I used a ton of sun screen last week but did not ever see or hear a mosquito so didn't need repellent. A good hat is critical! I brought a canteen and found that useful as it is WARM there and you cannot drink too much water. Then again, it is 95 here in MN today so I better keep drinking. Water that is.

Instead of gloves, get some neoprene socks........keeps the sand and rocks out of your boots. Every dive, we had to stop for Phil to take his fins and boots off to clean the rocks/sand out of them before we descended. I never had to with the socks.

And grab a couple of bottles and a couple 2 liters of pop. The tap water is fine to drink....even so, we brought a bunch of kool aid and crystal light for the water bottles. We kept the water bottles in the freezer and had cold water all day long. The 2 liters we filled with water and used to rinse off after the dives.

Don't forget to do a trip report when you get back!!!!

Yep! I agree with the above. No gloves, bring swimsuit, dive gear, and a change of clothes. Diving is the reason to go to Bonaire. Save boat dives for Klien and a couple of boat access only sites around Bonaire (like Rappel). Save Hilma Hooker for a shore dive. Bring or rent an U/W camera. Unless you have a good buddy with a camera and they'll give you pics. The u/w scenery is spectacular. Dolphins, rays, turtles, fish galore!!!!
Wear hard soled booties on all shore dives. Your feet will thank you!!
Other good things are: insect repellant, sunscreen, band-aids, sting-stick (for mosquitoes and no see-ums)

Ditto on bringing Crystal Light or some other flavoring for the water...helps you drink a bit more, which is necessary with so much diving. What we do is buy 3 gallons of water the day we arrive. Then we simply refill them for the entire trip, two for drinking with Crystal Light that we freeze overnight, and the other with fresh water. We leave 1 frozen and 1 regular jug in the back of our truck while we dive so the fresh water is warm for rinsing masks and heads, and the frozen is partially thawed out and cold during the first SI, then simply cold after our 2nd dive. We always went back to our condo for lunch so were able to pick up the 2nd frozen jug and refill the other, making sure we always had enough to drink and rinse with. :)

And yes donnad, we're outta here on Friday at noon!! :D :D :D

awesome tips. tiggrr........funny you should mention the socks. i bought one pair a while back and hadn't tried them out yet, and so i tried them on a lake dive recently, and thought they were nice and comfy, keeps your feet protected from any rubbing, etc. too. I really liked them, so i ordered 2 more pair, so i have 3 now. definitely will bring those. will also be doing the thing with bringing frozen and not frozen water in the truck. can't wait!!! hope these final days don't drag!!!

Some sort of trail mix or other snackables can help energy levels between dives, especially if you don't feel like going back to your room (you won't!). We also freeze and bring a sealed pkg or 2 of sliced roast beef (like from COSTCO--also a good place for trail mix, dried "Fruit Medley" etc) in our checked luggage, since sandwich fixin's can be pricey. The breads available at Cultimara Supermarket are wonderful though (!!) and if you are cooking they are well stocked, as is the Warehouse. Oh, bring coffee if you drink it--not much available that is drinkable IMO. Maybe a spare mask, in case you get tumbled in some waves? (not likely but...) Oh and bring a good attitude--it will come right back to you from the locals! // ww

Back
Top Bottom