Pace Bend and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvilleStang

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So for those of you with experience out there, is there good diving at Pace Bend? If so, near which cove? We're camping out there this weekend, and need a good spot to dive. And if any of y'all want to camp, too, we'll be out there Friday night. Just look for the University SCUBA Club and ask around for me, I'll be there from probably 4 or 5 until noon the next day.

Kevin

I thought the great thing about lake travis was that you could jump in just about anywhere and the diving is just as great as it is everywhere else? :)

~Jess

Well, there are sections of cliffs around there, then sections of shallow beach entries. The nice balance would be a fairly easy entry, but easy access to the river channel to hit a nice section of the wall to dive on.

Early last Summer I dove just off the swimming area by Mudd Cove, in an attempt to recover a Wedding ring for a couple who contacted our Dive team. The entry was gently sloping sand/gravel with a pretty firmly packed sand bottom that gradually slopes down to the river bed. I only dove to about 20-25 feet in my search pattern with the metal detector, but the visibility was pretty good for Travis at about 10 feet with plenty of ambient light. Since the lake is still low this area may be dry land, but that was my experience with Pace Bend.

The cliffs on either side of the pace bend peninsula are the best diving, IMHO.
But are hard to access at moment without a boat of some kind. But you can enter at either of ramp areas at park and use that to gain access. I don't think the ramps are usable at moment anyway, but I would surface swim along cliff face a bit to get away from ramp area before beginning my dive and surface about the same distance away.

Or more likely beg one of my budds with boat to take me out.

Jay_SMART_Diver:
Early last Summer I dove just off the swimming area by Mudd Cove, in an attempt to recover a Wedding ring for a couple who contacted our Dive team. The entry was gently sloping sand/gravel with a pretty firmly packed sand bottom that gradually slopes down to the river bed. I only dove to about 20-25 feet in my search pattern with the metal detector, but the visibility was pretty good for Travis at about 10 feet with plenty of ambient light. Since the lake is still low this area may be dry land, but that was my experience with Pace Bend.

Any luck finding the ring?:D

Back
Top Bottom