P7 C-bin or MCE k-bin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bevansmw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking at buying a light and curious if I should go with the CREE MCE-K or SSC P7-C LED. I've looked at some differences, and noticed the MCE is lower watts, 9.8W ((.7A*3.5V)(4)=9.8W), whereas P7 is 11.8W @ full power. Means P7 consumes about 20% more power than MCE.

Most say the P7 is brighter with more spill but MCE has better throw? Is that correct? I noticed angle for P7 is tighter out of LED lens than MCE per the specs, P7 should be 70 deg for white and MCE 110 deg. Which made me think P7 should have less spill if reflectors were the same or similar. All depends on how the reflector reflects the light though I guess. Obviously better burn time from MCE given lower power consumption.

My guess is if MCE has better throw than P7 it's only because of how the reflectors used for each is dispersing the light as if they were same seems P7 should have tighter and brighter beam.

This is just for recreational diving, curious which those with experience with both would say is better?

I have the Cree MC-E dive light. I ordered it rather than the P7 version based on longer battery life and tighter beam (just based on what I'd read online).

The central beam is certainly tight (tighter than my 10W HID). The spill is greater though. I like this as well as I can see more and still have the ability to use the light to signal.

There is a review somewhere (on another board) where someone took both on a dive. The brightness was about the same for both and the beam was a little tighter for the MC-E as I recall.

Roughly speaking however they were about the same in an actual underwater test.

Even though the P7 is advertised as producing 900 lumens no one has suggested that it's anything near that in the actual dive light.

I'm glad I got the MC-E version and am very happy with it. I haven't actually seen the P7 version underwater however.

I have the Cree MC-E dive light. I ordered it rather than the P7 version based on longer battery life and tighter beam (just based on what I'd read online).

The central beam is certainly tight (tighter than my 10W HID). The spill is greater though. I like this as well as I can see more and still have the ability to use the light to signal.

There is a review somewhere (on another board) where someone took both on a dive. The brightness was about the same for both and the beam was a little tighter for the MC-E as I recall.

Roughly speaking however they were about the same in an actual underwater test.

Even though the P7 is advertised as producing 900 lumens no one has suggested that it's anything near that in the actual dive light.

I'm glad I got the MC-E version and am very happy with it. I haven't actually seen the P7 version underwater however.

What size reflector are you using? Mag Litle 52mm???
Thanks

What size reflector are you using? Mag Litle 52mm???
Thanks

I'm not sure. This isn't a light that I build. It's the Cree Dive Light from DX however it does appear to be a 52mm reflector or close to that anyway.

I believe it is a 52mm reflector or thereabout, the head of the light is 55mm diameter.

I was looking more to see what others have experience with the two LEDs in lights that were built or modded and not just specifically to the one light I was looking at. The ones I'm considering are the two magicshine ones on DX.

Found the answers I was looking for on candlepowerforums here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89607&page=13

From what I read the P7 is better in a larger reflector than the MCE as the MCE produces the dark spot in the center due to the 4 die in a larger reflector but is better in a smaller one.

Lots of tests on LEDs and has me really hopeful for the CREE XP-G R5 that I ordered.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom