Oyster? Scallop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_C

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This was at 80 ft down 25 miles off the coast of NC. I have seen it a couple times before but this is first time out in the open. This one was 4-5 inches across. Cannot find photo in my guides. The two crabs are arrow head crabs.

Attachments

• whatis.jpg
    whatis.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 182
Strickly a guess here--but I'm gunna guess oyster, don't see any 'scalloping'(wavy shapes) of the shell??.......

Last edited:
what did it taste like? :wink:

Atlantic Pearl Oyster maybe?

I have been looking closely at the pictures and there are lots of little blue eyes so maybe a scallop? But covered with growth.

To me, it has all the features of a scallop. The wavy shell is pretty distinctive, along with eyes and tentacles.
Also, I can't say I've ever seen a lone oyster.

Which scallop? I have no idea.

It might be a lions paw, but there is a lot of growth on the top valve. Unfortunately I don't have my reference material with me; try google.

Definitely a scallop. Looks like a lions paw, but with that much growth on it, it is hard to tell.

Definitely a scallop. Looks like a lions paw, but with that much growth on it, it is hard to tell.

Think you got it. Looked up some on the lions paw. Right range and depth. Also found a couple pictures of live lions paw. The second one especially looks like mine. I have seen these a couple times. Other was on a ledge at about 95 ft.

Attachments

• scallop-eyes.jpg
    scallop-eyes.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 45
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 37
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom