Oye, Duke Dive Medicine. Seems you're not just south of me geographically.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks much, Doc. It's a great place to work, and I see your alma mater came in pretty high too. Congrats right back at you.
Best,
DDM

Seriously, congrats on Duke's placement among the best.

Congrats, but may none on this board ever need to find out how good any of your hospitals are. That is my wish.

I can testify that I have never had coffee which was any worse than that I was fed at Duke for 9 days last fall. Had to bribe my lab rat friend to bring me some from the outside every morning, or I knew I was going to die from bad decaf.

With regard to bragging rights, I've always wondered...
Of the following, which carries the most weight: where someone went to college, where someone went to med school, where a physician did residency training, where the physician did a fellowship, where he/she currently practices, the ranking of the school/hospital/residency/fellowship program at the time the physician was there, or the current ranking of the school/hospital/residency/fellowship program at which the physician formerly trained?

I can testify that I have never had coffee which was any worse than that I was fed at Duke for 9 days last fall. Had to bribe my lab rat friend to bring me some from the outside every morning, or I knew I was going to die from bad decaf.

LOL.

Depends on where you room. These folks will bring you Starbucks if you wish (and are medically okayed for full strength coffee) --> The Johns Hopkins Marburg Pavilion

Regards,

DocVikingo

That's because you never came down for Tim Horton's when the Canadian fellows were here.

With regard to bragging rights, I've always wondered...Of the following, which carries the most weight: where someone went to college, where someone went to med school, where a physician did residency training, where the physician did a fellowship, where he/she currently practices,....

Hi Bubbletrouble,

For openers, one needs to establish whether we’re talking individual or institutional “bragging rights”. The institutional standings in the above linked “Honor Roll” are not (at least not directly) based on the individual items you mention, e.g., “where someone went to college”. They are dictated by the “Methodology” as discussed in the article.

But, for the fun of it, I’ll take a stab at your question.

I think it's debatable what single item “carries the most weight” as your sequence arguably is best viewed as a progression. Other things being equal, the better undergraduate colleges (and better grades and activities there) lead to the better medical schools; the better medical schools (and better grades and activities there) lead to the better residencies; the better residencies (and better selection of rotations/specialization and ratings) lead to the better practice/academic positions; any fellowships contribute additional potency.

"Bragging rights" also are somewhat subjective and idiosyncratic and in this regard likely focus on the acmes of a particular doctor's accomplishments and may widely vary.

Personally, if I had to pick just one for rodomontade it would be a very special fellowship I was lucky enough to be granted.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom