Oxygen Kit for sale!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although it is not against the law to administer oxygen without a cert when you do it wrong (which is likely if you are untrained) their are huge liability issues.

I have not taken an oxygen course yet but I carry oxygen and use it for decompression. It's not rocket science...

in texas you have to be medically trained to administer o2 to a patient as far as i know. 02 is even considered a drug and thus requires you to have a skills check and take the national registry. I know emt's can give it, but i dont remember if ECA's can also.

Different states has different laws

To the OP, If i were you, i would swap those gloves out for some latex free ones

brett

If a person can dive with 100% oxygen as a deco gas and buy that gas as a dive shop then why would they need any other certification to give it to a victim in am emergency.

Minnesota has laws protecting anyone who helps a victim even if they have no training. its not that way everywhere though so I suppose its worth checking into.

T

Although it is not against the law to administer oxygen without a cert when you do it wrong (which is likely if you are untrained) their are huge liability issues.

As someone that is certified as an emergency first responder, First aid, to administer O2 and CPR.
I'll simply state the following:
Giving O2 to a unconcious diver after a dive is unlikely to do any harm and may save their life. Even if untrained the good samaritan law will likely protect you from liablity. Doing nothing in an emergency may be more harmful than attempting to help with limited training.

If a person can dive with 100% oxygen as a deco gas and buy that gas as a dive shop then why would they need any other certification to give it to a victim in am emergency.

Minnesota has laws protecting anyone who helps a victim even if they have no training. its not that way everywhere though so I suppose its worth checking into.

T

an example....

i have my advanced btls (basic trama life support) cert. I am "trained" to stick a needle into the sac around the heart and draw out blood. however, if i did that, even if it meant it would save someones life, i would face a strong chance of having my Emt-I revoked!

i strongly recommend the dan o2 course or the padi course just to cover your bases

brett

In Florida medical grade O2 is considered a prescription drug. Several medical supply companies have refused to fill our new DAN packs. They did recommend going to their gas supplier, he didn't have a problem filling the tanks.

I think DAN certification is for dive emergencies only, it doesn't qualify you to give 100% O2 to your neighbor having a heart attack. The heavy smoker with COPD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom