Oxycheq Raider 3W vs Salvo Rat LED 3W (Backups)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmainou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

I want to buy a backup light and I wonder if there are any users of the above lights that could "illuminate" me on which one to buy.

Most of my dives are during the day but I always carry a torch (Aussie for light) so I am also interested to know if I should buy the smaller versions (2c) or go for the regular size?

It would be wonderful to have a comment from someone that has used both products.

I have also considered the Halcyon Scout but it seems too expensive. Is it worth it?

I want a serious light, so if money was not an issue, which backup light will you buy and why?

Your help is much appreciated.

salvo rat for the win mate
i changed out my greenforce diamond light for 2 of these and love them, they're super bright and great. solid too
hit up dave at subaquatic solutions if you're an aussie for salvo gear

Hi,
I have the Oxycheq 3W and a UK4eLed , the Oxy is realy good and powerfull for the price and for a backup, inexpensive 3 AAA batteries , and solid too.

I second the Oxycheq 3W. I've got a backplate and wing set up with a hog harness and just leave it clipped onto one of the chest D-rings and have a loop of bungie cord holding the other end against the strap of the harness. The torch is surprisingly small. I hardly know it's there and the torch is solid and bright.

I also love that it takes AA batteries, I've got great rechargeables (Eneloops) so I don't have to keep buying batteries. Another thing I like is that they just released something called a "light sock" which basically provides an easy way to wrist mount the light so you can go hands free (it's just a piece of neoprene and a bungie, but quite ingenious). Hope that helps, cheers

Last edited:
What's the advantage of AAA's over c-cells? If any.

For me, it's the rechargeables. It's also nice for traveling since I don't have to lug around a bunch of the C-cells. In terms of power output and burn time, I couldn't say. It just boils down to convenience for me. Using AA also allows for a really small torch (I couldn't believe how small this thing was when it arrived).

Last edited:
Ah ok, thanks. I see where you are coming from. I actually don't like the small lights. I have very large hands and they are hard for me to hold.

I can certainly appreciate that. Another consideration is that they just made something called a "light sock" that allows hands free use (it's essentially a piece of neoprene and a bungee that allow you to wrist mount the light). I ordered one and should get it next week, I'll throw up a post once I get to use it.

I did use it as a primary for a night dive last night. I don't think it will replace my UK C4 eLED for diving out here, but I was quite really rather impressed with it and would definitely be okay with it as a primary in clearer water (it was fine ever for New England diving). In terms of bang for the buck, I don't think you could go wrong with this one, especially for a back up. Just my thoughts on it :)

Back
Top Bottom