Oxycheq Mach V 30lbs + Atomic SS1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BikerManiac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to buy a Mach V 30lbs lift and use my existing Atomic SS1 inflator instead of the oem one.

Can anybody tell me how long is the Oxycheq corrugated hose on the Mach V?

Does anybody have a setup like this (using a inflator/octo combo) with a wing? If so how long is your hose?

Thanks

This is not a do/dont do thread. I am aware a lot of people dont like octo/inflators and why.

It will not work. The corrugated tube as is common and proper with a Hog rig leaves the corrugated hose just long enough to reach over the shoulder. It does not hang down across the chest as is common with other types of jacket or cumberbund back inflate type jackets. With my Mach V if I had an Air II or whatever it is (which I would not) then I seriously dobut I could reach my mouth with it much less share it to another person. I am sure somebody will say I am wrong and it will work--I doubt that it will ever be optimal. Get a conventional octapus and lose the Air II.

N

I am going to buy a Mach V 30lbs lift and use my existing Atomic SS1 inflator instead of the oem one.

This is not a do/dont do thread. I am aware a lot of people dont like octo/inflators and why.

I have to chuckle that after your request for information, asking specifically that this not be a do/don't thread about octo/inflator, your only response was off base on will it work (saying it won't work) and turned took the preachy route. As I read your response, you're not asking a hog question, just will this work with the wing.

It will work, but you will likely have to replace the corrugated hose with a longer version. I use a DSS system with LCD30 wing, and replaced the hose with an 18 inch length which gives me adequate freedom of motion with the SS1 in my mouth, yet it isn't so long that it is dangling a lot. I also put a loop of 1/8 inch bungee at the left chest D-ring that the corrugated hose runs through, helping keep it closer to my chest but still easily moved for dumping air on ascent.

It will work. The SS1 will work on most corrugated hoses including the ones on Oxy wings. You will likely have to change out the corrugated hose to 19" to effectively utilize the SS1. That will take all of 5 minutes and about 12 bucks. Unless you can get the 19 " hose instead of the standard 12 or 16 inch hose.

And I have to chuckle because the next post rather than trying to provide relevent info concerning the configuration that the Mach V is delievered out of the box decides instead to argue and belittle.

As stated once--the Mach V has a fairly short corrugated hose and a equally short LP hose. It barely reaches over the shoulder--just enough to engage the D ring bungee on a Hog rig. I am sorry that this is the case but it is. Now, if one wishes to they can purchase a longer corrugated hose and a longer LP hose or perhaps even call OxyCheq and see if they can provide one but AS DELIVERED the Mach V seems to be optimized for a Hog style rig and configuration.

Stand up and then place your finger at your shoulder, that is where my Mach V inflator is. The length would need to be an additional four inches over stock is my best guess. That would put the Air II below the breast into the air share triangle.

Go to this link and you will see a gentleman with a Hog rig and you can clearly see the position of the left D ring. My OxyChecq Mach V inflator hose barely reaches to the D ring as presented in that picture. As you can see this would not be a good place for an Air II. So, make your own guess/judgement as to how much additional length you will need to place YOUR Air II where YOU like to place it:

http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/backplate_adjustment.html

I will never get over the way people behave on this board. Rather than helping they just belittle others who try to and BTW, my Mach V has a twelve inch hose as I recall and I think the LP hose is 22 inches. As provided--it is my opinion it will NOT work.

N

N.
You are right on (with your entire post)

To OP, a little more info. When I purchased my first OXY wing (a razor) I spoke to Patrclk the manufacturer and Scuba Toys the retailer. They shipped me a 30# razor with a 19" hose. True to my estimate, that was the minimum hose length I needed to use the SS1. It worked fine. I just did not care for the way it kind of dangled. The Plus side though, it was easy to inflate a DSMB. I prefer a shorter hose and a necklaced backup, so I removed installed a 16 " hose. I needed that because I have a dive alert.
When I got my Mach V, it came with a 12 " hose. I put a 16" on that as well so my dive alert would clear the d ring (bungee loop).
Now for the time being with my daughter, I will put the 19" and SS1 on the Mach V.

Been there done that.

Search is you friend.

It is one of the most common question on the board.. I have doen on Halycon Eclipse.

You need to get at least 16inch corrugated hose.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98253&highlight=eclipse

Check out my gallery for the picture.

Halcyon_Eclipse_Air_2.JPG

Thanks all.

The LP hose that came with the SS1 is 22 inches. I will need to buy a 18 inch corrugated hose for the Oxycheq and replace the OEM one.

I almost thought about buying a 20" corrugated hose.. But it seems with 18 should be more than adequate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom