Oxycheq Double Bladder Wing requires longer bolts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I acquired an Oxycheq 360 double bladder wing and went to try it out in the pool this weekend. When I put it on, it seems the bolts that came on my Highland Mills bands weren't long enough. The issue seems to be that the zipper that is in the middle hit right where the tank and backplate press against the thin inner part of the wing. The thickness of the zipper and material in that area is enough to make the bolts too short. On my single bladder 360 wing, the bolts are even a tad long. Anyone else had this issue.

What backplate are you using? I've found that using a Halcyon wing with my DSS backplate means the bolts that came with the Highland Mills bands were too short by maybe half an inch. I simply got longer bolts. The shallowness of the DSS plate is what caused the problem compared to other backplates.

I have a Dive Rite plate and saw another forumn as this possibly being an issue with the shallow channel of their plates. I will try out another plate that I have at home and follow up.

I tried my generic steel plate with a deeper channel and it is definitely better, but the bolts still seem a tad short, though at least this is workable. Anyone know of an aluminum plate vendor that has a deeper channel? I read that the Halcyon and DSS ones were rather shallow as well.

I tried my generic steel plate with a deeper channel and it is definitely better, but the bolts still seem a tad short, though at least this is workable. Anyone know of an aluminum plate vendor that has a deeper channel? I read that the Halcyon and DSS ones were rather shallow as well.

Buy some SS "all thread" and make bolts the length you need. Cheaper than switching plates.

As long as the bolts do not project past the "plane" of the cylinders you will be fine.

By this is mean if you were to lay your tanks down on a flat surface the bolts should not touch the surface.

Tobin

Buy some SS "all thread" and make bolts the length you need. Cheaper than switching plates.

As long as the bolts do not project past the "plane" of the cylinders you will be fine.

By this is mean if you were to lay your tanks down on a flat surface the bolts should not touch the surface.

Tobin

Tobin,

My old 95's have that type of set-up. My only issue is I guess I am a bit lazy and don't want to have to adjust my bolts whenever I switch back to a drysuit/single bladder wing. For now, your suggestion is probably the best way of handling the situation because I can be cheap too heh!.

I ran into a similar problem when trying a Halcyon plate with the Oxycheq 55 lb Signature wing. The lower corners of the plate are bent back a little and hit the zipper. The Oxycheq plates don't have the bent corners and the Halcyon wings have the zippers in a different location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom