Question Owners/Operators - What dive scheduling software do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
sunsplash

sunsplash

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey y'all,

This is a question for owners/operators of dive shops, dive boats, and dive education businesses.

I'm curious about what scheduling software you use? What do you like and dislike about it?

Currently aware of a few solutions used by dive shops near me in Miami like Thryv and FareHarbor for online booking.

I'm not in any of the businesses you mention but am wondering if you're looking for something to manage customers and contacts or just keep track of bookings.

Most dive related businesses I've contacted or engaged haven't used online booking, but have relied on EMail or contact forms. Since they're offering a service that people often choose for reasons other than price and that can be "adjusted" somewhat to accommodate any group any time, they seem to prefer the one on one contact.

Currently aware of a few solutions used by dive shops near me in Miami like Thryv and FareHarbor for online booking.
Several Florida(+) shops also use Scubaocity It's developed by Gary the owner at Conch Republic Divers in the keys. {Maybe @Wookie can post is SB username? } I've used Fareharbor alot also and I like both software user pages, but I don't know how they they "hook?" into the shop inventory/register software side of it.

The one key feature that all divers like about both is that you can see in real time how Much or Little seat space is available for a date you are interested. That's a great feature for me due to begging for time away from other projects when I really want to go diving. It has absolutely moved me off the fence to hit the enter button earlier and then beg forgiveness from work.

I'm not in any of the businesses you mention but am wondering if you're looking for something to manage customers and contacts or just keep track of bookings.

Most dive related businesses I've contacted or engaged haven't used online booking, but have relied on EMail or contact forms. Since they're offering a service that people often choose for reasons other than price and that can be "adjusted" somewhat to accommodate any group any time, they seem to prefer the one on one contact.
Ah that makes a lot of sense - when I was doing my OW/AOW a bunch of the people on the boat with me were repeat customers that lived in the area.

Do you know from the dive businesses you've contacted what proportion of people are repeat customers that get the "local price" vs one-offs on vacation or trying out a new boat/guide?

I'm guessing it differs for businesses based on if they're located in a typical "vacation destination" or not.

Several Florida(+) shops also use Scubaocity It's developed by Gary the owner at Conch Republic Divers in the keys. {Maybe @Wookie can post is SB username? } I've used Fareharbor alot also and I like both software user pages, but I don't know how they they "hook?" into the shop inventory/register software side of it.

The one key feature that all divers like about both is that you can see in real time how Much or Little seat space is available for a date you are interested. That's a great feature for me due to begging for time away from other projects when I really want to go diving. It has absolutely moved me off the fence to hit the enter button earlier and then beg forgiveness from work.
Haha always better to ask for the forgiveness rather than permission!

How often are you picking dives by date rather than looking for a specific site/wreck to dive?

When I was getting my certs, we always had a fuller boat when we were going to certain sites like the Lady Luck and the Captain Dan wrecks.

How often are you picking dives by date rather than looking for a specific site/wreck to dive?

I primarily dive West Palm Bch & Jupiter, but anywhere in Florida including springs is fine.
I dive both charters & private boats 50/50 and about 50-60 trips per year. I'm 100% picking charters based on the day and not the dive site. My decision tree starts with

1) Wave height & wind speed conditions,
2) Work vs Play (plus people saying I'm in a lousy mood)
3) Seat availability
4) Diveboat reputation (some don't allow point & shoot devices)

Things that DON'T factor in:
Cost (I'll pay double for a great sea creature drop!)
Time: I'm alright with 8am,9am,10am and 1pm
Valet service – I'll help load others tanks if the boat leaves faster.

Do you know from the dive businesses you've contacted what proportion of people are repeat customers that get the "local price" vs one-offs on vacation or trying out a new boat/guide?

I'm guessing it differs for businesses based on if they're located in a typical "vacation destination" or not.
It does seem to vary a lot by location. My experience in Cozumel was that there were a lot of repeat customers. In Belize, Roatan and the Philippines it seemed that more people were at a shop for the first time, although there were some repeat customers. I'd say Cabo Pulmo accommodates a lot of first time customers, quite often people who are vacationing at Cabo San Lucas and come up for the day. Overwhelmingly though, people return to the same dive shop unless they've had a particularly poor experience.

I just use Sheets in Google drive, Shopify POS and Constant Contact for our newsletters. It's sufficient for our size, but I suspect we will outgrow it soon. Using Sheets does require some extra work but it's free and easily sharable with staff/instructors. I will probably upgrade to a scuba specific program when we move to our larger location later this year.

I just use Sheets in Google drive, Shopify POS and Constant Contact for our newsletters. It's sufficient for our size, but I suspect we will outgrow it soon. Using Sheets does require some extra work but it's free and easily sharable with staff/instructors. I will probably upgrade to a scuba specific program when we move to our larger location later this year.
Thanks for the breakdown, that helps me understand the business side a bit better.

I've been tinkering with a booking/scheduling system built specifically for dive centers. It's not coded yet, but if you're interested in seeing the designs let me know.

I'm fairly certain we can get a booking system working that both allows customers to schedule dives on your website and also directly through your facebook business page, because facebook just released a new "schedule" button for business pages that allows for custom apps to be integrated.

Thanks for the breakdown, that helps me understand the business side a bit better.

I've been tinkering with a booking/scheduling system built specifically for dive centers. It's not coded yet, but if you're interested in seeing the designs let me know.

I'm fairly certain we can get a booking system working that both allows customers to schedule dives on your website and also directly through your facebook business page, because facebook just released a new "schedule" button for business pages that allows for custom apps to be integrated.
Hello! did you finally build the tool? I would be very curious to see the final result! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom