OW Training & Gear Rental Oahu Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slipstrm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am a P.D.I.C. Instructor in Texas, last year my Wife and I came to Oahu and visited
Our Family (Daughter & Husband) who are stationed at Wahiawa, I got to do several dives with both the Girl and Boy (Their first Blue water Dives) as well as visit my Grandkids, Life is good.
While visiting I was honored to meet and visit with members of my Son in Law's team.
They are scheduled to return from Iraq in the near future and several members of the team have expressed interest in becoming Open Water Certified, I explained that should be easy as there are many shops in the area that could certify them.
As members of my Son in Law's team and in an effort to show my appreciation for what these Warriors have done to keep my freedom secure, I have extended an offer to train them here in Texas, they want to do it as a team so due to travel cost and availability issues it will have to done on Oahu. (That’s better that a Texas Lake anyway you look at it)
They have offered to pay my way back to the Island so I may have the Honor of training them, I am flattered beyond words!
I figured if there's anyone who could provide leads and info, it would be the ScubaBoard bunch.
I need to know about the possibility of Rental gear for 6 or 8 for a week and a pool for about eight hours.
Dates are still uncertain at this point, but possibly Early December or Late January
So, I would appreciate any and all leads and information.
Thanks,
Mark Tucker
P.D.I.C Instructor # 49479

you should contact ocean concepts they do alot of work with military and might be able to help you out oceanconcepts.com

Aaron's Dive Shop is also good with the military and since they are willing to do it as a group will give them a GREAT rate!!! (about 1/2 the cost for 4 or more as long as they buy their mask, snorkel and fins through them) They also give a 10% discount for retail purchases to military on non-discounted items. They are also VERY friendly!

edit: Sorry... guess I should have read closer... you are training them and just looking for a spot... sorry.

IDH [island divers hawaii] has a shop on hickam afb.. and give military discounts..
they are also co-located with a base swimming pool they use for dive training..
and coordinate with instructors who want to teach class in it.
http://www.oahuscubadiving.com/

OC [ocean concepts.. as mentioned above] has a shop on pearl harbor property in rainbow marina next to the arizona memorial launch/visitors center.. they too give military discounts..
this location also has a swimming pool at their disposal 100yds down the street..
[tho' i'm not sure they'd let other instructors use it.. call 'em]
http://www.oceanconcepts.com/about_us/oahu_dive_centers

finally, the sea lancers military [and DoD/retirees] dive club [also on hickam afb] has plenty of "free" loaner gear for their military members. the only thing is.. you have to be a member.. and membership dues are $30 per month which entitles you to daily use of all gear [1 regulator, 2 tanks, 1 BCD, 1 wet suit, 1 gear bag, 1 dive flag, 1 weight belt, and appropriate amount of weight]
(however, they do have a statement that members are to be "certified divers".. so not sure if they could allow students to become members.. ask 'em)
http://www.sealancers.org/

Slipstrm:
I am a P.D.I.C. Instructor in Texas, last year my Wife and I came to Oahu and visited
Our Family (Daughter & Husband) who are stationed at Wahiawa, I got to do several dives with both the Girl and Boy (Their first Blue water Dives) as well as visit my Grandkids, Life is good.
While visiting I was honored to meet and visit with members of my Son in Law's team.
They are scheduled to return from Iraq in the near future and several members of the team have expressed interest in becoming Open Water Certified, I explained that should be easy as there are many shops in the area that could certify them.
As members of my Son in Law's team and in an effort to show my appreciation for what these Warriors have done to keep my freedom secure, I have extended an offer to train them here in Texas, they want to do it as a team so due to travel cost and availability issues it will have to done on Oahu. (That’s better that a Texas Lake anyway you look at it)
They have offered to pay my way back to the Island so I may have the Honor of training them, I am flattered beyond words!
I figured if there's anyone who could provide leads and info, it would be the ScubaBoard bunch.
I need to know about the possibility of Rental gear for 6 or 8 for a week and a pool for about eight hours.
Dates are still uncertain at this point, but possibly Early December or Late January
So, I would appreciate any and all leads and information.
Thanks,
Mark Tucker
P.D.I.C Instructor # 49479

I don't know what the rental rates are like in Oahu, but they are murder on Big Island and Maui (especially X 8). If you don't get a better offer, consider renting locally and bringing the stuff to Hawaii. We did that recently. My son, newly certified, rented full equipment for $80/week from his LDS in Sacramento. It would have cost $35/day on the Big Island.

Bases usually have nice big pools. Maybe they'd let you use one.

This class completed on January 19th, I just wanted to add a couple of notes here.

The DiveMaster and I agreed to bear the cost of our own transportation from Texas and did this class free of charge, our little donation to our Armed Forces Personnel.

I wanted to post a note of appreciation to Michael Quinn Parkhurst and Aloha Scuba without their help this class would not have taken place (These fine folks are located at 1640 Wilikina Drive in Wahiawa across the road from the Schoefield barracks, they have currently been running this operation for the last year, I have never dealt with a better bunch of folks, I recommend them highly!)

Aloha Scuba made the rental equipment possible, this included Tanks, BC's, Regs, Weight, extra masks, wetsuits and gear bags to carry it all in for each student, they also included a save a dive kit, extra Regs and extra weight pockets, all this for a minimal fee, and when I say minimal I mean it!!
They also offer Military discounts on all their gear.

Thanks to DiveMaster Faye for all your help, I couldnt have done it without you!!
Thanks to Kayla & Trinity for helping in the logistics department!
Special Thanks to Michael and Aloha Scuba for the Equipment, without you folks we couldnt have succeeded!
Thanks to you folks who put your life on the line everyday for my freedom!
Mark Tucker

Just a suggestion but if you need a pool some people like using Magic Island located downtown. Its a drive from Wahiawa, but its free. its sits at about 10 ft and the vis is so so. I did my rescue class there and it was great. Also the problem with it is the walk. There is a nice 100 yrd walk to the lagoon.

If you want a pool you can always try and speak with Scott Pool, Hickam Pool, and NCTAMS Pool. I think there is one on Kaneohe as well but not sure.

I know IDH also just got all new BP/W gear for their OW classes to learn in. That would be great so they could get a feel for something different. As for rental stuff all the above are great, IDH, OC, Aloha Scuba. Some other places you might want to try are:

Kaimana Divers
Sea and See Scuba
Dive Oahu

Just about all the dive shops on the island are great for military. Also if you need anymore help please let me know. I am starting my DM with Gabe Scotti from Kaimana divers now, but hope to be finished by December. Just PM me or let me know.

Back
Top Bottom