OW IS for Me!!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations on your certification and don't forget to update your profile page from: Join Date: Sep 2007
Logged Dives: None - Not Certified
And change it to Logged Dives: 0-24

Some of us need gentler introductions than others. I was lucky that I did my certification dives in the absolutely calm and still water of the Coves at Alki, in Puget Sound. The only stressful condition I had to cope with was very poor visibility.

At about 40 dives, I went to Australia and had to jump into very choppy surface water for the first time. It was anxiety-producing for a few minutes, until I realized I was fine with a regulator in my mouth. But by that time, I was happy being in the water and comfortable in my gear. I could cope with one stressor.

A year later, I had to do some challenging exits in heavy swell onto a boat ladder. Again, it was anxiety-producing, but again, I was comfortable with everything ELSE that was going on.

You got a nasty first experience, which raised your anxiety level for the next time. What you needed was a very benign entry and an uneventful dive, and what you got was choppy surface conditions and current. I'm not sure I would have been brave enough as an instructor to make the decision Brad made, which was that if he could get you underwater, you would relax, but he did it and it worked.

Everybody IS making a good point that you need some strength and stamina to do this, because choppy water and current are the rule rather than the exception in many places, and being physically stressed to cope with the needs of the dive is not a good place to start. And, if you tend toward some nervousness, especially in the beginning, try to minimize the stressors in any given dive. Don't gang up on yourself.

You sound like me. You may be a person who needs to do a lot of simple diving and build confidence and relaxation, and then start adding the challenging stuff. You just have to be aware that, if you're not confident, you shouldn't be anyplace very deep or with much potential to get into trouble.

I am excited to hear that you are certified Beth! :D I agree with some of the people though, I would advise you to improve your cardiovascular/ muscular endurance to become a safer(and happier!) diver.

I am not a small person by any means, but after my certification, I have become determined to get myself together. I'm going to Cozumel in March, so I have been lifting weights and speinding quality time with the treadmill(however, it doesn't help that it's 'Girl Scout Cookie' time again! What the ****!:()

I think you would enjoy diving much more if you worked on your cardiovascular/ muscular endurance. It would be one less thing to worry about(plus, exercise is a great stress reliever, and it also helps you to remain more calm in tense situations).

Great job Beth!:lotsalove:

You said you didn't make the first dive and you later stated you did three more dives and were certified. To the best of my knowledge even though the first dive is an intro dive, its still required for certification. I am glad to hear you are much more comfortable in the water and remember to dive when you come home. The waters here are much different and you will need some additional diving (preferably with an advanced diver) to get used to them.

Congrats! Keep diving don't wait until your next trip. The more you practice the better you will become. Like driving I've seen some pretty nevous people when they first learn to drive then they get complacent (my teenage son) then we figure out how much we didn't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom