OW Checkout dives this weekend!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right on - no worries davedog. Had a blast this morning - was plenty warm!! Had a little trouble with my ears around 20 feet or so but beyond that - I was good to go. All done tomorrow!

Pouring warm water in your suit helps...but only momentarily. Im probably too late..as you probably dove today, but my suggestion would be geared more towards staying warm topside. You will surely have surface intervals longer than 5-10 minutes. A wet-wetsuit in the wind will make you a human popsickle.. If you wear a rubberized wind resistant raincoat over your wetsuit during the surface interval, that will eliminate a huge potential for cold manisfestation. Also..wear a warm hat..or keep your hood on. A huge percentage of heat loss occurs through the head...Even better..keep your hood on , and have a rain coat with a hood to pull over your scuba hood.

If all else fails and you find yourself shivering uncontrollably...stop diving immediately, and seek warmth. Dont take chances with hypothermia...It can kill you.

Glad your dives went well. By the time you read this you will be certified. Let me be the the first to congratulate you.

I was in Roatan last week and and had a scary incident.

When I first jumped in the water I had to add about 6 lbs. of weight to allow me to descend and once I did so I had no trouble getting to about 65 feet.

A bunch of us were down around 60-70 feet for about 25 minutes and the Divemaster had told us that when our gauge showed 1,500 psi we should change direction and start to return to the boat.

I changed my direction and suddenly started to experience an unintended ascent. Before I knew it I was right near the surface. I had emptied my BCD as soon as I noticed that I was rising but it did not stop my ascent. I was getting worried that I might get the bends.

I signaled to the boat from several hundred yards away (my guess) but the dope on board wasn't paying attention so he didn't see me. I swam towards the boat and got there after about 10 minutes.

I got on the boat and asked the guy to give me some oxygen which took him a while to figure out how to work the cylinder.

I felt ok other than having some worries about getting symptoms later on but nothing ever happened.

I would appreciate any feedback on why this may have happened and whether I handled the situation properly. I need to do a lot of practice in the future.

Thanks,

Sy

1_T_Submariner:
Hey Webbah Congrats!!

Not sure what Sy's post has to do with this?

Thanks! Yeah - I figured out the whole ear thing. For whatever reason - on my first 3 dives - when I'd go under water - even a foot - I couldn't equalize because my brain was telling my body to force the air somewhere else and not into my ears. But once I noticed it - no problemo - went down to 60 feet without a hitch. So cool! Plan on going this weekend again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom