OW cert on Father's Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetPro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, after taking the OW classes this winter, we were finally able to do our Cert dives in a quarry in upstate NY this past weekend.

My 12 and 14 year old sons got certified with me on Father's Day. I can't think of a better Father's Day gift. (That new ScubaPro wetsuit from my wife was right up there too!) Without opening the can of worms on kids, 2 of the instructors came up to me later and said they were impressed with all of our skills and would be comfortable diving with any of us.

Even though I feel we got excellent instruction, I want to give many thanks to the members of this board for additional information on procedures, equipment and more than a few laughs. (BTW I was definitely the coolest one there in my Dee Rag):) The independent opinions helped immensely while purchasing 3 sets of gear.

We had a great deal of fun, learned a lot and spent a big chunk of money. The best part is that this is only the beginning (except for the money part). I can't wait to dive again and I know that we will have some great family trips. My wife is not a water person but said she will snorkel in between stints of sun bathing (she mumbled something I didn't understand about the pool boy and margaritas)

We've got a lot to learn and will have a great time learning it.

Thanks to all,

Jeff

It's always nice to see families certifying together, Mom can be the ground crew. That's a very important job!

Glad the Dee-Rag worked out!

Congrats to all of you and welcome to the underwater world!

Congratulations to you and your Family....cold water open waters are truly a test of your skills.

We also had a fathers day open water this past weekend with a class of 14 students who all passed with flying colours in the 54 deg F waters of Tobermory.

Open waters can be a chore but having smiling people come up to you at the end of the weekend to say thanks to the instructional staff is still a great feeling and a true reward in itself.

Best wishes as you go forward in your diving exploration.:D

Congrats for you and your boys, hope you guys have much fun as you learn and dive together.

Rich :mean:

Good job! I also know a family with a diving dad & 2 sons who follow him into the deep. Poor mom has a bad ear & can't even shower without protective gear. Nonetheless, she has become part of the gang. She sells diving merchandise (figurines of dolphins, jewelry, etc.) & makes a killing at holiday time. She enjoys the camping trips we all go on. There are always other moms around (some dive; some don't) for her to chat with & go for walks on the beach to collect shells, take pictures, etc. She has also become the group videographer. I hope your wife can find a way to make the others' diving hobby fun for herself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom