OW backup light strategy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What usually happens when doing a night dive in a resort area, is that my insta-buddy has just the one rental light the dive op provides, and I loan him one of my extra lights as a backup. This happens often enough that I often also bring the UK Q40 (4AA, 2.1W iirc) that has been superceded by the PcA light as my "always in the BC pocket" light.

The advantage of the PcA is that it meets my requirements for both a surface signalling light while it also meets my requirements as a "backup primary". Just like I always carry a mirror and sausage, I always carry a light as a surface signalling tool, whether the dive starts in day or night.

By "backup primary" I mean a light that is suitable for continuing the dive normally, whereas a "backup" light merely needs to be suitable for aborting the dive. Dive light failures (or low batteries) are common enough that I choose to carry two lights that are suitable to be used as primaries, in addition to a small one that is suitable for aborting a dive.

Others may use other terms to distinguish between the different functions, but somehow "secondary primary light" just doesn't sound right.

ArcticDiver:
Backup Light: The light used when the primary light fails to provide light during the aborted dive process.

Backup Light 2: The light used in some diving circumstances for minimal illumination, primarily gauges, during the aborted dive process.

a) I've never aborted a dive because my primary light failed. Buddy has HID, I have back up, we enjoy the dive. And vice versa. I'm sure its because I'm an open water weenie.

b) I have two back ups of the same like and quality. Very high quality, very high output.

c) I don't get the "minimal illumination" or the gauge light up purpose for a back up #2. The only time I ever need minimal illumination is so I don't blind a critter. I achieve that by lacing my fingers over my primary.

Enjoy three lights of descending output and value. I'm still not there.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
a) I've never aborted a dive because my primary light failed. Buddy has HID, I have back up, we enjoy the dive. And vice versa. I'm sure its because I'm an open water weenie.

b) I have two back ups of the same like and quality. Very high quality, very high output.

c) I don't get the "minimal illumination" or the gauge light up purpose for a back up #2. The only time I ever need minimal illumination is so I don't blind a critter. I achieve that by lacing my fingers over my primary.

Enjoy three lights of descending output and value. I'm still not there.

---
Ken

Different strokes for different folks.

In the right circumstances I've even done night dives with no lights. It all depends on circumstances and budget.

ArcticDiver:
Different strokes for different folks.
Don't you mean different lights for different strokes? Clearly I qualify --- see my comments above about doing night dives with insta-buddies that don't have backups. :)
In the right circumstances I've even done night dives with no lights. It all depends on circumstances and budget.
I've never done a dive without having a light, but have done many with the light turned off. As mentioned in the Night Dives with the Lights Off thread, it is best to turn on your light before approaching other divers underwater. :banana:

Don't knock it till you try it! Its really cool when the fish start offering you candy... And there is always the beat of the drums in your head.... Its calming.

Blitz:
Don't knock it till you try it! Its really cool when the fish start offering you candy... And there is always the beat of the drums in your head.... Its calming.

Funny....you've mentioned hearing drums in your head several times on land...Oh wait, it must've been that "candy" the "fish" offered you...You obviously tried it, how'd it taste?

Charlie99:
... it is best to turn on your light before approaching other divers underwater. :banana:

Never thought about that. Guess it would be sort of startling to someone to swim up and put your hand on a shoulder when the other person had no idea you were there. Maybe a little nibble on the fin??

Actually I would prefer to go the high budget route. But as the OP presents his question he is trying to spend the least amount of money he can to get the job done.

Where do you dive? I'd like to do an underwater instabuddy some time. Your idea:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom